Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Disconnected" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2574 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image that conveys the concept of "disconnected."  "Disconnected" was defined as "not organized in a way that seems sensible or suitable, showing no logical connection or relationship, detached, disengaged, or cut off."

I enjoyed the giant reflection of the wasp in Chris' Reflecting on their situation image.  You have a creative eye to see and capitalize on that reflection Chris.  Nice take on the theme.

Reflecting on their situation
Photographed by Chris Franklin

Michele's Unplugged image was the well deserved winner of the People's Choice vote.  I appreciate a well designed image that is purposely created by the photographer (instead of one that is just "found") and so have also awarded this image Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  Michele did a great job incorporating different elements into this image to convey a message and create the mood she intended, including the prop of the unplugged cord, her pose, her expression, and the lighting of the scene.  Although it is a very subtle effect, designing the image so that the light transitioned from brighter, vibrant light at the left edge to darker, flatter light where Michele is tucked into the image helps to emphasize the withdrawn mood.  It was obvious from the comments in the gallery that many of us connected with the message and mood conveyed by this image.  Extremely well done Michele!

Unplugged
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Michele's next image contained great symbolism for A world disconnected.  The composition of the image again helped to emphasize the message that the pieces were "disconnected."  The depth of field was well chosen so that we could see enough detail in the front pieces to tell they were pieces of a map, and the gradual transition to blur was a great way to "remove the limits" of the edge of the puzzle.

A world disconnected
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Alan's (Ribot's) Blue Sapphire was an intriguing image.  Converting the scene to monochrome was a great way to "abstract" the subject and pique the viewer's curiosity.  Once you've grabbed the viewer's attention, it's much easier to convey the message.

Blue Sapphire
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot)

I really enjoyed Lars' whimsical series of Disconnected Objects, especially the refrigerator scene in Disconnected Objects 3.  There's something fun about surprising the viewer with discontinuity, and it is a great way to lead the viewer to question their view of reality.  This was a fun series Lars.

Disconnected Objects 1
Photographed by Lars

Disconnected Objects 2
Photographed by Lars

Disconnected Objects 3
Photographed by Lars

Lars' Feeling blue und etwas "Disconnected" was another image that incorporated symbolism to convey a message.  I might have tried a little less saturated blue color to convey the mood of being blue and disconnected.  The blue Lars chose is perhaps a bit to vibrant to convey the mood I think he intended, or then again maybe it it was part of the "discontinuity" of the image.

Feeling blue und etwas "Disconnected"
Photographed by Lars

I also enjoyed Luc's series of images that played on the viewer's perception of whether or not the subject was connected or disconnected.  I loved Luc's very perceptive message, reinforced by this series of images that "Sometimes it is not totally clear, if they are connected or not... it is like in real life: it is rarely black or white."  Sometimes (often, always?) we don't see enough of the picture to understand how things are really connected, or how "disconnected" they might be.  Very profound Luc.

Between Connected and Disconnected
Photographed by Luc Bigler

disconnected railway wagon

but I far prefer this connected railway wagon

I struggled with the design of my different State of mind image, and wasn't quite able to capture on film (sensor) the scene I visualized for the bottom part of the image.  I think I was successful at creating two different moods for the image, and conveying that I wanted to get from one "state of mind" to the other.  (The image was also symbolic of the fact that "state of mind" is strongly influenced by place.)  This image is illustrative of the fact that sometimes photography (or any form of art) can be a great catharsis for the artist.

A different State of mind
Photographed by Keith

Something that struck me about Marilyn's image of Mutilation of the ancient past was its strong graphic design.  Whether intended or not, this was a beautiful image.  The beautiful light, and the resulting texture, tonality, wonderfully rich colors, and play of light across the scene gave this image a sense of reality and immediacy that really helped hammer home the message.  Very well done Marilyn, and deserving of Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

Mutilation of the ancient past
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Marilyn

Rick's Cell Phone Disconnect image was a fun image that made an astute observation about our society.  It also made me wonder whether a cell phone keeps us more connected, or more "disconnected" from the world around us.

Cell Phone Disconnect
Photographed by Rick Peppin (TrvlRick)

I've grouped Dave's two Disconnected images of the Davis Memorial together so that you could observe how much difference a change in quality of light imparted on the final image.  Dave and I commented that "sometimes the light is magical, sometimes it's not."  One of the skills of a good photographer is being able to recognize and capitalize on beautiful light.  A great time to observe the changes in quality of light is right before (and slightly after) sunset.  It's a good exercise to photograph the same scene from an hour before sunset to just after the sun has dipped below the horizon.  Although we logically understand that there is a difference in quality of light, looking at a series of images taken during the time when the quality of light is transitioning so rapidly will really drive the point home.  Notice how the change in light affects both the mood and the emphasis in Dave's two images.

Disconnected
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Disconnected #2
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

I thought it was fun how Marilyn's image Replicating disconnection in Red Square played on the theme of "disconnected" at several different levels.  It's amusing that the bird droppings on the statue add a final symbolic act of distain at how "disconnected" Lenin was from reality.

Replicating disconnection in Red Square
Photographed by Marilyn

Rebecca's Love and War image was another fun composition and commentary at the sometimes amazing "disconnects" between the way men and women think.  (Nice light and background too.)

Love and War
Photographed by Rebecca

Sue's image of The 36 Year Old Dump underscores the point that sometimes "a picture is worth a thousand words."  This was a great illustration of Sue's point that "These people were disconnected from what they were doing to the land, water supply and the wildlife."

The 36 Year Old Dump
Photographed by Sue Pepin

I have to say that this assignment was one of the assignments that I found most satisfying.  Not necessarily because of the technical quality of the images (although they were all good) but because of the additional meaning and feeling that was buried in each one of these images.  We truly were communicating with each other on a more complex level than just sharing pretty pictures.   It's images like these that reinforce my belief in the power of photography to convey ideas and feelings in a way that sometimes words alone can't do.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:26:59 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Disconnected" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »
Thank you very much everyone.  The mood was not imagined, it was exactly how I was feeling.  It is nice to know that I am not the only one.  I'm glad you all did not think it was "geeky" with the props! 

I enjoyed a lot of the different interpretations to this assignment. 

I am still working on this week's assignment and I am finding it difficult.  You see, it has been snowing for a couple of days and the sky is that permanent gray.  It will stay that way until Saturday afternoon, according to the weather forecast.  So there are differences as in a fog effect or clear when the snow stops a little, I have to say that the lighting is pretty much the same in the morning or afternoon.  A wee bit darker or lighter but roughly the same.  I am taking the side of a mountain at different times of the day and am just hoping that something other than gray creeps into some of them.  I'll keep trying...  (I should have done this last week!) I liked the first ones but, the same is the same is the...

Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Have a good week, everyone!

I hope everyone is having a good week.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
I have to admit that I have been delinquent in getting started on this week's assignment.  We head out to the ranch tomorrow for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Hopefully I will get some time while at the ranch.  We will all be busy "working cattle," so hopefully there will be a little bit of time available for photography.  I need to get out and be creative...

Keith

Michele

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
I think taking the exact same scene or subject in different lighting is cool.  I am just hoping for different lighting.

marilyn

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »
Thanks so much for the recognition for technical merit, Keith.  I did work on the composition in taking the photo as well as in post with some cropping.  Mostly we were there at a good time for light - I only wish we had been there when the modern artist was there defacing this face as well as others in the area.

Now for the new assignment - intriguing and stimulating.  I can't wait to see what everyone produces. Michele, you got us off to a great start!  I think both the disconnection photo and the same place entries are creative and inspiring.

marilyn

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »
The Red Rock Canyon vandalism has hit local and national news.  We are hoping the guy will get caught.  Here is a link to a local news story video: http://www.mynews3.com/story.php?id=33005&n=5035