Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Upside-Down" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2344 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Wow, another set of amazing images submitted for this assignment!  The guidelines for this assignment were to to take an image of a normal scene, and then flip that image upside down in order to judge the image based on how well the abstract shapes, forms, colors and light come together to form a pleasing composition.

I think Lars enjoyed the assignment, and his creative Levitation Guitar image was selected as People's Choice.  What a fun, whimsical image.  The more I looked at the image, the more I discovered interesting and creative touches.  So much so that I've selected this image as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  It's images like this that provoke Rebecca to say, "someday I want to meet Lars, what an interesting and fascinating person he must be."

Levitation guitar
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Lars

Lars' Falling Down image was nicely composed as well, and captured a bit of the personality of the cat.  It didn't grab and hold my attention quite as well as the Levitation Guitar.

Falling Down II
Photographed by Lars

Dave's Froggy Flip image was very well executed, and super sharp with wonderful color.  This image definitely worked right side up or upside-down.  There's lots to like about this image, but it didn't quite engage my mind as well as Dave's other image.

Froggy Flip
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Flipping Lars' Somewhere over the rainbow image upside-down was definitely helpful for judging the balance of this image.  It looks balanced to me.  The cool cloud formation became the center of interest in this image, and with a little imagination an animated creature...

Somewhere over the rainbow
Photographed by Lars

I thought Rick's Old Stump image was an interesting study in how our brains determine perspective.  He asked "is it right side up, or upside down?"  Actually the image holds our attention a little longer than normal because when we look at it we intuitively sense that something is "different" about this stump.  The shadows don't quite fall where we expect them to.  Because of that we almost see the stump as an abstract object instead of just an old stump, and we start to examine the form in a little more detail.  Very interesting Rick.

Old Stump
Photographed by Rick Pepin (TrvlRick)

Michele's Sous la Cloche (Under the Bell?) image was a wonderful rendition that reminded me of classic daguerreotypes from the early days of photography.  They were almost impressionistic in their representation of the world.  Like Dave I loved the tones and feeling of this image.  It invited me into a fairy-tale world where my imagination was the limits...   (This image took on more meaning when I looked up the phrase "Sous la Cloche" and read the Google reference to the poem The Fond Heart by Maurice Maeterlinck.)  True artistry Michele.   

Sous la Cloche
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Michele's Evening Stroll was another amazing, intriguing image.  I impressed by the way Michele captured this image (using one camera to fire the flash and another to capture a long exposure), and selected it as Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

Evening stroll
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

I (and many others that commented) really liked Lars Flower Spider image.  It takes quite an artistic mind to be able to visualize and then create such an ominous looking creature out of a house plant.  If I hadn't already selected Lars' Levitation Guitar as my choice for artistic merit, then I would award it to this image.  Great job visualizing and then creating this image Lars!

Flower spider
Photographed by Lars

I find it fascinating that Dave's image of the Feeder Stream was so much more captivating upside down than it was right side up.  I think the fact that we intuitively sense that something is "different" about this image tends to pique our interest and keep our attention a bit longer.  There are other things that make this image a success though, including the sense of motion the bare tree branches and debris add to the image (and the mystery), the beautiful (but somehow disconcerting) light, and the way the dip in what we perceive as the far bank leads us through a small valley into the distance.  That's what I find most fascinating, that this "dip and valley" aren't really there, but our mind is so attuned to using these types of depth cues that we interpret these features as depth cues even though they really aren't.  You can see what I mean by comparing the image Dave submitted to the "flipped" (right side up) image I've posted just below it.  Notice how our path into the distance is now cut off, and the image therefore lacks the depth of its upside down counterpart and therefore isn't as successful at drawing the viewer into the scene.  Fascinating...

Feeder Stream
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Feeder Stream
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust) (flipped over by Keith)

I love the fact that by turning her Fire Dragon image upside down Rebecca abstracted the subject and allowed us to imagine dragons, wildfire tornadoes and brains on fire. :)  It is a fascinating image primarily because it does provoke our imaginations.  Now if only we could figure out a way to do that on a regular basis with our right side up photography...

The fire dragon
Photographed by Rebecca

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment.  I know this assignment forced me to examine compositional elements from a different perspective, and I hope you found that it helped you exercise your compositional skills as well.

Keith

Lars

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Upside-Down" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
Thanks all

I feel a litlle upsidedown but im glad You like my "playing around" contributions.

Lars

Michele

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:17:37 PM »
I wonder what happened to my post?  Did I write too much?  (sniff)...

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »
Hi Michele,

If you posted to the thread before this, I don't think it saved.  :-\

But I'd love to read what you wrote.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:32:58 AM »
Well, let's see.  I rambled on about how much I loved Lars' photo.  Colors, light, freshness...  I really kind of went on and on.  Short version is that I really think that photo is something special.

I also thought that the froggy was adorable and would be a very complicated puzzle.

I explained why I called mine Sous la Cloche.  A cloche is not just a bell in French, but in cooking, it's the metal dome we put over a dish.  Which was why I did not add the flat bottom of the glass.

I said how much I loved Feeder Stream upside-down as well as right side up.  But how intriguing it was upside-down.

I remembered how much I loved to toast marshmellows and how Rebecca's photo made me hungry.

I think that was about it except, I did ramble on a bit.

Oh and of course, thank you.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:10:57 PM »
Great job everyone.  Lar's guitar was really something special and I was glad to see the people's choice reflect my own appreciation of it.  Michelle too always provides something that stretches our perspectives while demonstrating such skill with the camera.  
Froggy would make a good puzzle, you're right! So this one's for you:
http://www.flyoverpeople.net/jigsaw/jigsaw_lg.html. (The puzzle app requires Java).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:04:40 PM by prairiedust »
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
What?  You can make a game of your photos?  Too cool.