Author Topic: The truth about adventure travel ...  (Read 1937 times)

Cindy Miller Hopkins

The truth about adventure travel ...
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
We are now leaving Greenland heading for Baffin Islands in Nunavut, Canada. Greenland has been VERY kind to us for the past 5 days. The highlight, for me, was watching the Northern Lights.

Some cruises announce afternoon games of BINGO, others make a big deal over Karaoke. We have no such announcements on a ice breaker. When a voice comes over our PA system, you had better grab your warm coat, gloves, camera gear and hotfoot it to the upper decks. We have had several calls for fin whale sightings … very nice! But the late night calls for Northern Lights have been the best. We have been blessed with clear, cold, skies filled with nature’s fireworks four nights in a row … and four nights in a row, before going to bed I lay out my gear … just in case. Sometimes we get the call at 11pm. Occasionally, it’s 2am, if you are lucky … it’s BOTH.

The very first night of lights, the call sent most of the passengers scrambling for the upper decks. Excitement filled the air along with the green swirling lights. Ooooos and ahhhhhs were abundant. Even though I have been lucky enough to have seen the Aurora Borealis several times, the wonder and joy of watching them dance in the night sky hasn’t faded. Normally, I would say that NOTHING could distract my attention … but hard as I tried, I was indeed, distracted. Apparently in pure haste, not to miss out on the action, a few passengers ran to the upper deck in nothing but their white fluffy terry robes and slippers. OK … they do get ten points for enthusiasm, but minus eight for common sense! I’m in long underwear, windproof snowboarding pants, turtleneck, fleece pullover, Arctic parka, glove liners, warm mittens, scarf, fleece lined hat, two pair of winter socks & lined boots … and I’m a tad chilled in the breeze! While it pains me to describe the following event, I feel the story must be told to warn my dearest friends & family about the downside of “expedition” travel. Personally, I blame it on my slowed reflexes due to the late hour. I did try to turn my gaze back to the Aurora, but I was caught like a deer in the headlights … and then before I knew what hit me … BAM … TWO astronomical events at once … the Northern lights AND a 75-year-old “full moon” in the Arctic glow! Adventure travel is not for the weak or faint-hearted.

The following three nights were spent much as the first thankfully enjoying the gift of one of nature’s true wonders … and avoiding any seniors in bath robes!

I wish the attached photos were better, but getting sharp images with 20+ second exposures from a moving ship limits my ability. But I do hope that it conveys the essence of the experience.

Sincerely, Cindy

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: The truth about adventure travel ...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:38:25 AM »
Cindy,

Sounds like you're having a great time.  Thanks for sharing the images of the Northern lights.  I'd love to see that in person some day!

Keith

sue.pepin

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:23:08 AM »
Cindy, Rick told me about your full moon experience and I had to read about it myself!  You really need to be a writer as well as photographer.  How about doing a book?  I really love to read your postings.  Please keep them up!

Cindy Miller Hopkins

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind words Sue ... but I think I have my hands fulls just keeping up with my photos!
Cindy