Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Removing Limits" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2026 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were to strive to compose an image so that you are eliminating any natural limits from the scene in order to allow your viewer to imagine that the subject extends well beyond the boundaries of the frame.

As is often the case, Dave's images of rural Kansas made me want to get out and explore the countryside.  The Path Taken was especially inviting, arousing that innate desire to follow the path up over the rise to see what is on the other side.  I love the fact that it looks like one could go on exploring forever.  Great job composing the scene in layers to convey depth and draw the viewer in Dave.

Konza Prairie Morning
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

The Path Taken
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

I enjoyed Rick's beautiful image of Yellowstone Hot Pools, although I think the image might have been a bit too segmented to present the "limitless" view I was looking for in the assignment.  Still, this is a beautiful, well executed image with nice depth.

Yellowstone Hot Pools
Photographed by Rick Pepin (TrvlRick)

Rick's image of Hot steamy streams of water was more effective at filling the frame with the subject and allowing the viewer to imagine that the streams of steaming water extended well beyond the edges of the frame.  Very nice job with a challenging exposure Rick.

Hot steamy streams of water
Photographed by Rick Pepin (TrvlRick)

Rebecca's Worshiping the eye was a cool image; however, the visual cues included in the image (the curve of the pool) lead the viewer to imagine the real size of the pool, therefore I'm not sure that the image was really effective at "removing limits."

Worshiping the eye
Photographed by Rebecca

Lorin's climber image was an effective composition that excluded the defining limits of the rock from the scene, thereby allowing the viewer to imagine that the rock was much taller than the frame.  Great job Lorin.

climber
Photographed by Lorin Schroeder (wildshutter)

As Dave said, "So many beautiful submissions.... there are two that just soar above the others."  Michele's I can fly and The Leap were both amazing images.  Several folks commented that it was difficult to pick just one of these images, and that was evident from the voting thread, with these two images tying for People's Choice.  I found it very interesting to examine the perceptual differences between the two images Michele submitted for the assignment and this image in her personal album that shows the ground in the foreground (follow the link to see the image):  http://spiritofphotography.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=64&uid=214  Notice how including the foreground (in the image I linked to) establishes the limits and prevents the viewer from imagining that her beautiful model is really flying high. It's also interesting to note how including the clouds in the lower portion of her I can fly! image really helped reinforce the idea that the model is flying above the clouds.  Very well done!

I can fly!
Tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

It's obvious that Michele put a tremendous amount of thought into creating these images, and her image of The Leap is simply outstanding on many levels.  Dave said it best with his comment that "Pure Michele emotion and heart takes flight."  This is in all respects an outstanding image, with the model's body position and expression contributing to the sense of pure exhilaration in The Leap.  The timing and technical prowess required to capture this image are very impressive, and I've selected this image as Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.  Amazing series of images Michele!

The Leap
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit, Tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

I really enjoyed the process of being a bit creative, and the freedom to view an often photographed scene in a different way in my two images of the aspen at Oxbow Bend and the image of Lower Falls in Yellowstone.  I purposely composed each scene to remove any defining limits from the frame so that the viewer would imagine that the subject extended well beyond the edges of the frame.  I'm pleased that the assignment allowed me to set aside preconceived notions of how the scene should look, and compose images that are a bit more creative and personal than the standard tourist photos at those locations.

Aspen at Oxbow Bend
Photographed by Keith

Reflection in the Oxbow
Photographed by Keith

Gallons... x 1,000,000
Photographed by Keith

Carol's Canyon Climber image was well composed.  Excluding the top and bottom of the mountain lets the viewer's imagination run free, and allows them to imagine that the climb extends well beyond the edges of the frame.  Well done Carol.

Canyon Climber
Photographed by Carol Burkett

Lars' removing string image made me smile.  Of course the angle of the string provides a visual cue that enables me to estimate how long the string really is, so this "limit" isn't really removed.  I can however imagine that the plant is much taller than it might be.  :)

removing string
Photographed by Lars

I also smiled at Chris' interesting play on the concept of "removing limits."  I'm sure Chris will be so excited about playing with his new D7000 and lenses that we'll see a creative burst of energy and lots of impressive images in the near future.

Phase One - Complete
Photographed by Chris

Julie did a nice job composing her Hot Spring image to exclude the edges of the hot springs, allowing the viewer to imagine that the hot springs are much larger than their actual size.  Nice job Julie.  (And beautiful composition.)  As Rebecca said, the scene is so inviting that it makes the viewer want to jump right in!  :)

Boardwalk Along the Hot Spring
Photographed by Julie Schroeder

I enjoyed Marilyn's play on removing the limits of time as well, with her image of the Ancient Rock Art Sheep Panel.  Including a person in the image was a nice technique to show the scale of the rock art.

Ancient Rock Art Sheep Panel
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment.  Your amazing images inspire me!  I hope like me that you enjoyed the creative freedom to photograph your subjects with a slightly different perspective in mind.

Keith
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:02:06 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

*Smiley face with blush* (Since I can't find what I am looking for.)

Thank you guys.  In fact, we were above the cloud line taking those shots.  I took a photo of the cloud blanket that surrounded us that day.

I think there should be a law that states that all sporting events, weddings, theater, etc. should be taken outside with a little bit of clouds in the day light...  I can't seem to reproduce the same results indoors...   ;)

I think these past weeks were amazing with the submissions.  Have a great Halloween everyone!  We have All Saints Day also as a day off.

Chris

I also smiled at Chris' interesting play on the concept of "removing limits."  I'm sure Chris will be so excited about playing with his new D7000 and lenses that we'll see a creative burst of energy and lots of impressive images in the near future.
I hope you're right Keith. I'm looking forward to it. The other day I posted in frustration about the new camera not being in yet. I have thought about it quite a bit. I wasn't so much upset about the camera taking so long as I was upset with myself. I thought I had done so well with some of my recent pictures I believed I had finally gotten the hang of photography. I thought I was ready to move up to a real camera and wanted to get one that would last many years so I went all in. Shortly after placing my order I began having trouble. All of my pictures were garbage it seemed. I thought maybe I had made a mistake in thinking I was ready for a better camera, and the expense that came with it. I finally just put the camera down because I wasn't having much fun. I didn't pick it up again for a week because I just didn't feel like trying. I even missed an extra credit assignment for my photojournalism class because I just didn't care. I finaly picked it up again because I had some real assignments coming due. The first try didn't go too well. I went home after an hour and didn't feel like I had anything I could use. Next try was better. There was a helicopter flying around campus the other day getting photos and video of the campus for the Marketing Dept. I spent an hour or so running around trying to catch it. I started getting some decent images and it was a lot of fun. That same evening was the wrestling matches. While I wasn't too happy with many of the pictures I got it was fun and they were about what I expected given the circumstances. I can't wait for this burst of creative energy. I though maybe I had used it all up. ;D

Michele

Chris, please don't put your camera down again.  I can't tell you how much I understand how you feel, I swear!  We have all been there (I still am the majority of the  time) and not producing as well as we thought we should or could.  When the photos aren't coming out the way you thought, try posting those temporarily in your own gallery.  Maybe someone can pinpoint what went wrong.

Your words hit home to me because I feel that way a LOT!  It means you are looking for something better!  Keep shooting and when you aren't happy, KEEP SHOOTING!  The worst feeling is when you think nothing is coming out right.   Then suddenly there is that great day where you just know it's working.  Of course it gets followed by other days where nothing is coming out right again.  But on that good day, well, it's such a great feeling when you produce exactly what you wanted, you know?

Please push through it by taking more shots and I promise you that feeling you had before will come back.

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
Hi Chris,

Like Michele said, we've all been there, and we're there more often than you might think.  I once spent a week in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks and didn't come home with a single image I was proud of.  Now I judge if my photo trips are successful (whether the trips are a couple of hours, or a couple of weeks) based on whether or not I come home with a single image that was a success.   That's it, just a single image.

And like Michele said, the key is to keep photographing, and learning.  I really blew it on parts of the wedding we just photographed, but I'm doing my best to learn from the experience, and I know I can do better next time. 

I can guarantee that the more you photograph, the better you will get.  I've seen it time and time again.  Some of the very successful photographers I know now were a "bit lacking" when I first met them, but they put 10s if not 100s of thousands of photographs a year through the camera.  An they are now pros, producing professional caliber work.  All through simply photographing and learning along the way.

So it's not really about the new camera, although that will help.  (Both from the technical aspect, and due to the fun of playing with a new toy.)  It's more about figuring out why you enjoy photography, and purposely putting yourself into appropriate situations to reinforce that enjoyment.  Hmmm, I think I need to go follow my own advice now...

Keith