Author Topic: Outing Announcement: 10 May 08, "Rocky Mountain Wild" at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo  (Read 4585 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
We're planning an outing to the new "Rocky Mountain Wild" exhibit at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on the morning of Saturday, 10 May 08.  Rebecca, Evan and I went on a scouting trip to the exhibit this morning, and really enjoyed watching and photographing the river otters, lynx, and grizzlies. 

They also have a new moose and mountain lion exhibit, and the wolves are back.  If you are interested in joining us for a morning of photography and camaraderie, please respond to this thread.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 07:23:38 AM by keithsnell »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Several folks have expressed interest in the outing, and the weather forecast is favorable, so it looks like this outing is a go.

We'll meet at the entrance to the Zoo at 9 AM.  Please RSVP via this thread or email so that we will know to look for you.  Our cell phone number is (719) 237-0664 in the event that you need to contact us at the last minute.

During our "scouting" trip, we carried the D3 with 200-400mm lens, tripod with wimberly head, and D2x with 70-200 VR.  I lugged the D3, 200-400 and tripod all around the zoo, but didn't use them.  All of our shots were taken with the D2x and 70-200 VR, so you may want to plan accordingly.  Something in the 200mm range (DX/APS-C  format) or 300mm range (35mm  format) would be ideal.  You can probably leave the flash at home, since it would probably cause distracting reflections from the glass or fence enclosures.  (There are a few places to shoot over the fence line, but not many.)

This should be an excellent "practice" opportunity, and who knows, you may even get a few "keepers."  We'll probably go out to lunch following the outing if anyone is interested.

Hope to see you there.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 07:35:04 AM by keithsnell »

werikblack

Here are some of the pictures I shot.

These two pictures were shot with a mountain lion jumping overhead. We were in a tunnel with a glass ceiling, so it was a fun shot, even though it's a bit blurred.

Pictures of river otters. They had a cool habitat with glass panels for one of the sides of the pool.

Grizzlies playing in the water.

Big kitty. :)

This peacock swooped down from a tree, called loudly, and scared the heck out of a bunch of wallabies.

Evan scoping out one of the wallabies.

I may put more pictures up eventually in my gallery, but these were definitely some of the better ones.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 06:17:08 PM by werikblack »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Erik,

Great shots!  Thanks for posting.  Good job catching the shots of the river otters.  Those guys were FAST!

Keith