Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Rhythm" Assignment  (Read 1880 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Rhythm" Assignment
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Rhythm" assignment.  The guidelines for this assignment were to simply create an image using rhythm, or a cadenced pattern with a defined progression through the scene, to guide your viewer through the image.  

Several people commented that this was a hard assignment, and they weren't sure any of the submissions were really very successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.  I agree that it was a hard assignment, and I too had a difficult time creating a "rhythm" image that I was happy with during the week of the assignment. That said, I think this was still a useful assignment to help us understand the concept of visual rhythm and recognize how it could be used to strengthen a composition.  This assignment had me looking at potential compositions from a different, and perhaps more creative perspective.   I'll be keeping my eye open for rhythmic scenes in the future, and will keep trying to compose an image I like that uses rhythm effectively.  

As I was thinking about the assignment, and potential images that demonstrated the concept of rhythm, I kept coming back to this image that Dave Leiker (prairiedust) had submitted for the "Focus Point" assignment.  Michele had commented at the time "I love the grass that leads to the barn. It gives the picture almost a rhythm quality."  And I agree, this image has rhythm, and is a great example of what I was thinking about with the assignment:

Wind-blown Grass and Barn
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Michele's Cat walk image was the submission that intrigued me the most.  For one thing, I had never actually seen a real cat walk, meaning one that was actually designed for cats and not humans.  And the patterns in the image worked very well together.  I found that the more I looked at the image, the more I became aware of interesting little details.  This image held my attention more than any of the others, both because of the interesting patterns, and because of the sketchy details it revealed that left you wondering and wanting to know just a bit more about the person that lived in the apartment.

Cat walk
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Michele's Duck making it's own way image also had several interesting patterns in the image, but was perhaps missing the "flow" that I wanted to draw me further into the scene.

Duck making it's own way

Michele's Rothenthurm Bridge image was a very nice example of using linear perspective to provide a sense of depth and draw the viewer into the scene.  It didn't hold my attention as long as some of the other images, perhaps because it was missing a human element, or something to pique my curiosity.

Rothenthurm Bridge

Michele's Happy Toes image brought a smile to my face, and other people enjoyed it as well, as evidenced by the image comments and votes for People's Choice.  There's the human element!  :)  The fact that there was a mismatch between the number of feet and the number of heads in the image also made the image more interesting, and held my attention just a bit longer.  Thanks for sharing such a fun image and bringing a smile to my day Michele!

Happy toes
Tied for People's Choice

Alan's (Ribot's) Looking to Land image was an intriguing and nicely composed image.  In an interesting sort of way, the composition drew the viewer into the scene along the periphery of the image, from the lower right corner, up and around to the upper left corner.  It drew me in and left me wanting to see more, and upon reflection, this image was more successful than I originally judged it to be.  Nice job Alan.

Looking to Land
Photographed by Alan Albrecht

I'm a sucker for perceptual illusions, and so loved Michele's Stone road image, and the illusion of "waves" caused by the pattern in the stones.  I wanted this fascinating road to lead me somewhere, but there was nowhere to go?

Stone road

Of all the images submitted for the assignment, Michele's Here and there half and half image had the most rhythm, with my eye jumping rapid-fire along the "rungs" in the bike rack.  (But again, I got to the end of the pattern and there was no place to linger.)  I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Technical Merit because it was the best example of rhythm submitted for the assignment.

Here and there half and half
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit

Lars often brings an interesting perspective to our assignments, and for some reason his Get set ready goooe image made me smile.  There is an impending implied rhythm to the image, with the feet poised to step off down the stone slabs at any moment (following the flow of patterns in the stone of course).  It was an interesting image that piqued my curiosity and made me wonder where we were off to for the day.

Get set ready goooe
Photographed by Lars

Lars' Deep Down Rhythm image evoked memories of the mechanical hum and rush of the trains one feels in a lonely subway station late at night.  Great job evoking that feeling Lars.

Deep Down Rhythm
Photographed by Lars

I enjoyed seeing Rebecca's The Tortoise and The Hare images, and her commentary about the contradiction between their actions and the myth.

The Tortoise
Photographed by Rebecca

and the Hare
Photographed by Rebecca

Marilyn's Snaking hose image was interesting primarily because of the different perspective.  This image has great depth, and the hose definitely leads the viewer through the image.

Snaking hose
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Dave Leiker's (prairiedust) Under the Overpass image was composed of wonderful geometric forms, and the deep blue "mysterious" light evoking the lonely time between day and night.  The wonderful blend of colors, composition, and that mysterious feeling led to this image tying for the selection as People's Choice .

Under the Overpass
Tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Marilyn's Flowering Sunset image was a beautiful image that successfully brought together a close-up of her flowering tree with wonderful colors of the sunset over the mountains.  Like Michele, I sense that there is "rhythm" hidden somewhere in the branches waiting to be revealed.  Perhaps isolating a repeating (and simpler) pattern between the leaves and the mountain might have brought forth a bit more of the rhythm?  I agree with Marilyn that this image is a great metaphor for the rhythms of the days and seasons.

Flowering sunset
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Rick's image of the Air Force Academy Chapel Pews did a great job illustrating the repeating pattern and rhythm of the pews and ropes.  However, as with many of the images submitted for the assignment, once my eyes followed the progression of the pews to the front of the chapel, there was nothing interesting to keep me in the scene.  Having photographed the Air Force Academy Chapel in the past, I know it would have been quite a challenge to place something of interest at the culmination of this rhythm.  This image brings to mind a concept that I have been wanting to address in our assignments, and that is the concept of "working the scene."  Stay tuned for a future assignment where we talk more about that idea.

Airforce Academy Chapel Pews
Photographed by Rick Pepin

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment.  Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:18:53 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Rhythm" Assignment
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:18:32 AM »
It's funny that you brought back wind-blown grass and barn.  I thought of that photo as well for this assignment.

As for your curiosity.  I am fairly certain that nobody lives in the appartment where there is a catwalk.  It could be an office or a warehouse room but this is a boat warehouse or winter location for boats.  Cats are everywhere and quite loved here in Switzerland.  I like them but outside.  We play a game, the kids and I when we are in the car.  Who can spot land without a cat in it and the others search for cats in the scene.  Very rarely can someone spot a field outside with no cats.

Thank you for Happy Toes, everyone.  That was just taken for fun.  I consciously cropped out the two heads on the ends because there was way too much distraction around the area if they where left in the frame.

Thank you Keith for the Here and There.  I have to say that personally, I don't like it very much but it was an experimental photo and you guys liked it.

I liked Under the Overpass.  The lighting and colors gave that photo a mysterious look that was very cool.  I even liked the little green lights.  This had style.

My second favorite was Airforce Academy Chapel Pews.   I thought it had quite an effect but I understand what you meant by "where does it go?" Just like my photos.

You know, when I took my photos, I was so focussed on the pattern and finding rhythm that I did not bother with the whole look of the photograph.   It's interesting to note that I am always trying to look for rhythm now ever since this assignment. 

Lastly, where did the fish go?  I distinctly remember this cool photo of fish?  They looked like a blend of colors flowing around one another...  Oh well.

Thank you for everything, Keith.  By the way, the reading you recommended is very interesting on portraits.  I can't wait to try some of the recommendations and techniques.

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:07:14 AM »
Thank you for the comments Michele. 

I never put my fish image into the voting thread, because I didn't really think it had the type of rhythm that I was looking for.  In the right context it might have been a successful image, but It was an experiment more than anything else.  One good thing about the assignments is that they do keep me experimenting and learning.  I'm glad for the incentive to get out and photograph every week.

I want to do an assignment on portrait photography sometime soon, but it will take some time for me to put together the assignment so I have been delaying until I have more time to complete the preparations.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
No way!!!!!  I insist you do EVERYTHING now, Now, NOW!!!     :o

(deep breathing)

Nahh, I can wait...

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »