Author Topic: "Rockwellesque," Weekly Photography Assignment for 10 - 16 May 2010  (Read 5214 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
In typical family fashion, after a long day of church, a birthday and mother's day party with extended family, and an afternoon at the Old Cowtown Museum (a living history museum in Wichita), Rebecca asked if we could stop at the Wichita Art Museum on the way home to see the visiting Normal Rockwell exhibit.  I reluctantly agreed (it had been a long day), and I'm very glad I did.  Our all-to-short 10 minutes in the museum (before it closed) rekindled my desire to visit more art museums and study the works of the masters.  

Having seen reproductions of Norman Rockwell's illustrations in print throughout my lifetime, I wasn't prepared for the impact of seeing the "real thing" in person.  It wasn't until I saw his full-size paintings in person that I appreciated Rockwell's genius.  Rockwell was always a commercial success, but identified himself as an "illustrator" instead of an artist, and most of his contemporaries didn't consider his work seriously either.  His works were often idealistic or sentimental renditions of everyday American life, and the term Rockwellesque was originally coined as a derogatory description of an overly sweet or idealized view of life.  As with many artists, it wasn't until after his death that his genius was recognized, with one of his works selling at auction for $15.4M.  

Seeing Rockwell's work in person helped me appreciate that he was a master of light.  One of the paintings that struck me the most was his work titled The Peace Corps.  The light was crisp, and certainly a lot more contrasty than the versions I had seen in print, with well defined highlights and crisp shadows reminiscent of the warm afternoon sun that illuminated the subjects' faces.  You can see a reproduction of the painting at the following link; however it doesn't even come close to the colors or intensity of the original work:   The Peace Corps.   For those of you that live in or near Wichita, or any of the other areas with visiting exhibits showcasing the work of Norman Rockwell, I highly recommend that you take the time to visit.  

It wasn't until I returned home and started reading more about Rockwell that I learned how integral photography was to his work.  Rockwell painstakingly created his scenes down to the tiniest detail in his studio, photographed the scenes in black and white, and then used the photographs as guides to paint the scenes (in color) for his illustrations.  Many of his photographs would be considered works of art in their own right.  Rockwell described his work by saying, "Without thinking too much about it in specific terms, I was showing the America I knew and observed to others who might not have noticed."  Isn't that much of what our photography is all about?  Observing, and showing to others things they might not have noticed?

The assignment for the week of 10 - 16 May 2010 is "Rockwellesque."  You should attempt to compose an image in the "idealized" style of Norman Rockwell, with the recognition that one of the key characteristics of Rockwell's images was the wonderful quality of light used to accentuate the character of his subjects.  Please upload your images to the "Rockwellesque" album in the Weekly Assignments category of the Gallery no-later-than midnight Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 16 May 2010.

I'll look forward to seeing your images.  :)

Keith
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:50:45 AM by keithsnell »

Michele

I am not really sure if I understand the assignment so much.  I read up on Norman Rockwell and I know who he was but I never really studied his style.

I think I know what is lacking by looking at his work again and that is the sense of humor.  Many of his paintings had a punch line somehow.  I am going to think more about this.  

But the question I asked you was, do you want us to try and make a painting out of the photographs?  I'm not really into using a lot of the artistic tools in Photoshop.  Is that what you mean when you say "to compose an image in the "idealized" style of Norman Rockwell"?

I think the lighting is key as you say, but now I think it was also the sense of humor involved as well.  That's why I took the grandparents photo out.

Michèle
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:43:24 PM by Michele »

keithsnell

• Administrator
I am not really sure if I understand the assignment so much.  I read up on Norman Rockwell and I know who he was but I never really studied his style.

I think I know what is lacking by looking at his work again and that is the sense of humor.  Many of his paintings had a punch line somehow.  I am going to think more about this.  

But the question I asked you was, do you want us to try and make a painting out of the photographs?  I'm not really into using a lot of the artistic tools in Photoshop.  Is that what you mean when you say "to compose an image in the "idealized" style of Norman Rockwell"?

I think the lighting is key as you say, but now I think it was also the sense of humor involved as well.  That's why I took the grandparents photo out.

Michèle

Hi Michele,

Thank you very much for asking the question.  No, you don't need to make a painting of the photographs, unless that is something that you really want to do.  

What I mean by the "idealized" style is that Rockwell would contrive a scene that was almost "over the top" in order to convey a happy image of an American family.  His images were almost theatrical in the way that the expressions and "body language" was exaggerated, and everything in the scene was "staged" to support the plot.  And yes, many of the images included humor.  However, in his later years, Rockwell began to tackle social issues, so not all of his images were happy scenes.  

All of Rockwell's images were exquisitely staged to reinforce an ideal.  His "Freedom" series is a good example, with four images depicting "Freedom from Want," "Freedom from Fear," "Freedom of Speech," and "Freedom of Religion."  The Freedom from Want painting depicts a happy family all gathered around the dinner table about to enjoy a sumptuous feast, and the Freedom from Fear painting depicts a mother and father lovingly tucking their two children into bed at night.  That series of illustrations was used to sell war bonds, and it was successful because the "ideals" we were defending were very clearly conveyed.

So, a potential "Rockwellesque" image might depict a happy family scene living life as we dream it should be.  As I mentioned earlier, he was also a master of light, with many of his images including bright highlights from natural sunlight and realistic shadows.  He also understood how color could be used to reinforce a mood, and so his "happy" images include bright inviting colors, whereas his more somber images would be more subdued.

Does that make sense?

Keith
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:38:33 PM by RebeccaSnell »

Michele

Yup, it does.  Hmmm.  It's hard  to portray the American style but I will try.  I remember many of his prints in the early version of Reader's Digest magazines my grandparents had that they collected when I was little.

I guess the grandparents do kind of work.  I like the expressions I have seen in google.  I think I know the Freedom from Want (Is that the turkey feast with the couple serving a huge bird at the table?)  I am going to look up the other one.

Thank you again.

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
Yup, it does.  Hmmm.  It's hard  to portray the American style but I will try.  I remember many of his prints in the early version of Reader's Digest magazines my grandparents had that they collected when I was little.

I guess the grandparents do kind of work.  I like the expressions I have seen in google.  I think I know the Freedom from Want (Is that the turkey feast with the couple serving a huge bird at the table?)  I am going to look up the other one.

Thank you again.

Michèle

Actually, please don't worry about whether it is "American" or not.  You could do the same thing with a Swiss family, or any other culture.  The key is the "theatrical" style of many of his images (the exaggerated emotions and body language, etc.), or the "staged" scene that reinforces the ideal in the image.  Does that help?

Keith

Michele

Again.  Yes, it does.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:57:13 PM by Michele »

Michele

I will keep my eye out for more wholesome, happy scenes.  Thank you, Keith.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Again.  Yes, it does.   

Not exactly an "ideal".  This was at the garage and a black storm came with hail and the employees just stood there watching.  I don't think it works with what your description is but I like the guy on the right's body language.

Yes, I do like the body language in this scene, and think you are on the right track.

Keith

Michele

Sorry about that.  I moved it into the gallery.  I took out the little girl on the swing.

I hate it when I am unsure.  Like I said, I forgot last assignment to take out the ones I didn't want.  I will remember this time before the week is over.

Now if only I can find exaggerated expressions...  Can I use a smiley?  (Kidding) ::)

Michèle

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
I may come out empty this time, though I really admire the work posted so far.  I have something in mind but getting 'actors' for it is tricky. 
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
Re: "Rockwellesque," Weekly Photography Assignment for 10 - 16 May 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
Hey Michele,

I think you should submit the one with the two garage guys again -- I loved that one.  And, keep the girl on the swing and the umbrella kids - love those too!

Rebecca

Michele

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 10:23:54 AM »
Hi everyone.  I may give you all a break as I have broken a rib today at a water park.  Some guy came down the children's slide at full speed into my back.  Lauren is fine because she was between my legs.  First time I ever brought them there and this was the first run.  Ended up with an exciting time at the hospital.  (The weather was so bad, I thought they deserved a treat)

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
Hi everyone.  I may give you all a break as I have broken a rib today at a water park.  Some guy came down the children's slide at full speed into my back.  Lauren is fine because she was between my legs.  First time I ever brought them there and this was the first run.  Ended up with an exciting time at the hospital.  (The weather was so bad, I thought they deserved a treat)

Hi Michele,

I'm very sorry to hear about your broken rib.  I hope you recover swiftly.  You already have several wonderful images posted for the assignment, so just sit back and relax and see what others post.

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 11:14:38 AM »
Hi everyone.  I may give you all a break as I have broken a rib today at a water park.  Some guy came down the children's slide at full speed into my back.  Lauren is fine because she was between my legs.  First time I ever brought them there and this was the first run.  Ended up with an exciting time at the hospital.  (The weather was so bad, I thought they deserved a treat)

Hi Michele,

Just for you I've posted some interesting reading that deals with portrait lighting concepts.  (I thought you might want something to read while you are recovering from your injury.)

Keith
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:00:44 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the injury. I'm glad Lauren wasn't harmed.   
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest