Author Topic: "Rhythm," Weekly Photography Assignment for 3 - 9 May 2010  (Read 1328 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
I will say up front that this will probably be one of our more challenging assignments, but I would like you to try, because if you can successfully create an image with "rhythm," it can be very powerful.  So first, let's talk a bit about how rhythm applies to photography.  Most often when we think about rhythm, we think of the "regular pattern of beats and emphasis in a piece of music."  However, I don't want you to get hung up on the idea that rhythm has to be based on a "regular pattern."  Rhythms can be more complex, such as the pattern formed by stressed and unstressed syllables in poetry or speech.  Rhythm is also different from "pattern" in that it implies a progression or sequence, or movement or flow from a beginning to an end.

This image is a simple pattern, but it doesn't really have a definable rhythm or "flow":

Rusty Grate
Photographed by Keith for the "Patterns" assignment

The next image, on the other hand, has a defined flow, with a complex cadence or rhythm that draws the viewer through the image in a series of steps:

Waterfall Creek
Photographed by Keith during the 2008 Crested Butte Workshop

As photographers, one of our challenges in composing an image is to design the image in such a way that we can "guide" the viewer through the scene, leading them through in an orderly fashion so that they see what we want them to see.  We can employ multiple techniques, such as leading lines, and variations in color and contrast to attract the viewers attention.  Rhythm, a cadenced pattern through the image with a defined progression, can be a very powerful tool for guiding the viewer, with the emphasis at each "pulse" determining how long the viewer lingers at each step along the way, and how they progress through the image.

The assignment for the week of 3 - 9 May 2010 is "Rhythm."  Please upload your images to the Rhythm album in the Weekly Assignments category of the Gallery no-later-than midnight, Mountain time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 9 May 2010.

I'll look forward to seeing your images.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:25:25 PM by keithsnell »