Author Topic: "Cropped," Weekly Photography Assignment for 12 - 18 April 2010  (Read 2216 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
One of the skills that can both help us to improve images we've already taken, and potentially help us to compose better images in the future is cropping.  Cropping can be used to remove extraneous or distracting elements from a composition and better focus the viewers attention on the primary subject, or it can be used to "tweak" the position of elements within the scene, or better balance the composition.  Unfortunately, we often get lazy and forget that many well known photographers believe that an "uncropped image is an unfinished image."  

Black Angus

Black Angus, cropped

Even if there are no distracting or extraneous elements that need to be removed from the composition, It is very rare that a subject lends itself perfectly to being presented in a 2x3 ratio, or that the elements within a scene are perfectly placed within that 2x3 frame, or that the compositional elements are perfectly balanced across the frame.  Cropping can help us turn an average image into an exceptional image by arranging the "whole" of the composition so that it is greater than the sum of its parts.  By experimenting with different crops for an image, we can also teach ourselves what "works" and what doesn't work with respect to image composition and balance, and use this knowledge to improve our compositions as we are shooting.

The assignment for the week of 12 - 18 April is "Cropped."  Please upload your images to the "Cropped" Album in the Weekly Assignments category of the gallery no-later-than midnight, Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 18 April 2010.  Please upload your uncropped images as well, so that we can compare the versions and see how you have improved the images.

I'll look forward to seeing your images.

Keith

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:07:42 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

Re: "Cropped," Weekly Photography Assignment for 12 - 18 April 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:09:10 AM »
Should we submit the original and the cropped version to show what prompted us to crop the way we did?  Only a suggestion...

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:10:58 AM »
Should we submit the original and the cropped version to show what prompted us to crop the way we did?  Only a suggestion...

Yes, please submit both the original and the cropped version.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:15:46 AM »
Ok.  Maybe I will ask again just to be annoying.  Ha ha ha, I just read the end of the assigment and you had written that we should submit both but I wasn't paying attention to the end as you normally just write where to put the images in the gallery and by which date. 

So should we submit the original and the cropped version as well?   ;)

My eyes are going cross-eyed from all these photos, sorry.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:34:41 AM »
Yup,  I have to be careful about using the same generic format every time, otherwise people just skim through that part.

Thank you for asking.  :)   

For those of you that just "tuned in," please submit your original image with the cropped version so we can see the resulting improvements from the crop.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:37:41 AM by keithsnell »

burzilai

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »
got it :)
Shee :)