Author Topic: "The Moment," Weekly Photography Assignment for 15 - 21 March 2010  (Read 3061 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
When I'm thinking about our assignments, I often ask myself "what makes a great photograph/photographer."  The answers to this question will often lead to the assignment for the week. We've had many assignments emphasizing different technical aspects such as proper exposure or focusing techniques, assignments that emphasized various aspects of composition, and many "thematic" assignments that emphasized using photography as an effective means of communications.  While all of these are key elements of a successful photograph, there is one other aspect that we haven't yet emphasized, and that is the concept of "capturing the moment."  

A scan through many of the Pulitzer Prize winning photographs of the past half-century quickly illustrates the point that many of these photographs are special because they successfully captured a significant moment in time.  While most of us will never have the opportunity to capture a moment as significant as the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima, or the victory kiss in Times Square, or many other famous historical moments, we should recognize that life is full of significant moments, and our ability to capture these moments is a direct reflection of our ability as photographers.  

To a certain extent, using a camera should be like playing a musical instrument.  When you first begin playing a musical instrument, you look at the sheet of music, read a quarter note "C", think about how to place your fingers and the length of time required to hold the note, concentrate on finger placement and then "play" the note, and then move on to the next note on the page.  As you become more proficient at playing that musical instrument, you transition to a state where you anticipate the note and your fingers automatically perform the actions to play it, without consciously thinking about all the intervening steps.  A well designed musical instrument facilitates the transition to this "fluid," intuitive state, and effectively becomes an extension of your body.  A well designed camera does the same (as does a well designed automobile, etc.).  I very rarely, if ever, consciously think about the steps required to turn on my camera (I just automatically do it without thinking) or change the aperture or shutter speed, etc.  I just think "faster shutter" and the action is done before I have to consciously think about how to do it.  The seconds spent fumbling with a control can make the difference between capturing a shot, or missing it.  You have to use your camera often in order to become proficient enough that the controls become second nature.  You can't put your camera away for months at a time, and then pick it up and expect to be immediately back in the zone.  Operating your camera is a skill that requires practice in order to remain proficient.

But operating your camera proficiently, and having fast reaction times, are often not enough to get the shot.  To really get the shot, you have to anticipate the shot.  You need to be paying attention to your subject and consciously thinking "what's going to happen next."  If you anticipate the action, you will be ready to capture it.  This is true of sports photography, wildlife photography, street photography, portrait photography, event photography, and just about any type of photography that involves living, breathing subjects (or changing light conditions, or changing weather conditions, etc.),  If you are photographing a wedding, you should recognize that each interaction during the course of the day will lead to some response.  You should anticipate the response and be ready to capture it on film.  What's going to happen when the groom's mother sees him for the first time on the wedding day?  Is she going to hug him, kiss him on the cheek, brush his hair out of his face, adjust his boutonniere, brush a piece of lint off his shoulders?  We don't know which of those actions will happen, but we can just about guarantee that the groom's mother will make some gesture to show her affection towards her son, and we should be ready to capture it.  Every interaction during the course of the day will have a special "moment" that we should attempt to capture, without being intrusive, and without attempting to "direct" the action.  If you are an event photographer, street photographer, or portrait photographer, it helps to be a student of human nature.  Knowing how humans typically respond to events will help you anticipate and successfully record those fleeting moments that capture your subject's true personality.  The same is true of wildlife photography, and most great bird photographers can tell you what signs indicate that a bird is about to take flight.  Anticipate the shot, and be ready to capture it when it happens.

The assignment for the week of 15 - 21 March 2010 is "The Moment."  Please upload you images to "The Moment" album in the Weekly Assignments category of the Gallery no-later-than midnight, Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 21 March 2010.

And most of all, have fun!

Keith
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:44:20 AM by keithsnell »

Michele

Re: "The Moment," Weekly Photography Assignment for 15 - 21 March 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:24:25 AM »
I asked and Keith said I should put this on the assignment thread.  I took this last year, so I don't think it counts.

I knew the the fountain was just about to go off because it goes off every five minutes and the owner of the dog was just walking through.  I had just enough time to turn on the camera change the setting and snap.

It was a pretty funny moment.

Michele

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:26:25 AM »
Although, it is no standoff at tiananmen square.  Just a dog in a fountain.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 08:40:18 AM »
Hi Michele,

Thanks for posting this wonderful example.  And GREAT job anticipating the moment and capturing the image.  In my book any image that makes the viewer smile is a worthwhile image, even if it doesn't have historical significance.

Wonderful image.  Thank you for sharing.

Keith

Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »
OMG!!! that's awesome!!! lol Poor lil drippy thing :(

marilyn

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »
Today at Ashynn's school the kinders had a series of event stations that involved a lot of jumping in an out of hula hoops, off crates, etc.  - all to Beatles for kids music.  Before they went back inside the coach got them involved in freeze dancing - dance until  the music stops and everyone freezes.  I put my camera on the sports mode and shot a ton of pictures, hoping for a few good action shots.  I've played with several, cropping, editing in Picasa and just having fun.  I wanted to share these and then I'll decide which to post.

Michele

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 04:07:54 AM »
Good morning, Marilyn,

I think they are sooo cute.  But the first one of the child jumping off the crate from the back is my favorite, followed by the last one.  I like the last one because of the mirror.  Must have been fun being there.

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »
Today at Ashynn's school the kinders had a series of event stations that involved a lot of jumping in an out of hula hoops, off crates, etc.  - all to Beatles for kids music.  Before they went back inside the coach got them involved in freeze dancing - dance until  the music stops and everyone freezes.  I put my camera on the sports mode and shot a ton of pictures, hoping for a few good action shots.  I've played with several, cropping, editing in Picasa and just having fun.  I wanted to share these and then I'll decide which to post.

My favorite is the last photo.  I love the expressions and the "body language."  That image just makes me smile.

Keith

Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »
I like the 4th the best, a true athlete in the making :)