Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Character" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1889 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the character assignment.  The guidelines for this assignment were simply to compose an image that emphasizes the qualities that give an object or person their character (set of qualities that make somebody or something distinctive, interesting or attractive).  

I have to say that I was inspired by your images.  You might think that I have an idea of what I want to photograph before I choose an assignment topic; however, more often than not I choose the assignment topic first, and then just like many of you I spend the week searching for an appropriate subject to photograph.  Maybe it was all the other things going on at the time, but the "character" assignment was a tough one for me.  But midway through the week something wonderful happened, I was inspired by the images you all were submitting.  Thank you for the inspiration.

Congratulations to Becky Jenner whose image of The Curve was selected as People's Choice.  This image made me smile, and I loved the "layered" meaning of this composition.  Not only did the curves in the guardrail add character to the road, but they were a great commentary on the "character" of the individuals that built the guardrail.  Becky did a great job composing the shot, and the choice of black and white for this image was a good one.  I loved the interplay of the light on the guardrail with the opposing shadow, juxtaposed with the line at the side of the road.  Becky had a great eye to "see" this image, and did a wonderful job arranging the elements within the composition to lead the viewer into and through the scene.  This was a wonderful, whimsical image with both visual and conceptual depth.  I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

The Curve
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Becky Jenner

I also enjoyed Rick Pepin's image of Merlin at the Fence .  This was a great capture by Rick, and it does look like Merlin has an abundance of character.  I imagine that Merlin is a bundle of energy and suspect that photographing this subject was a great opportunity for Rick to practice quickly capturing the "decisive moment."  I liked the the way the diagonals in this image (with the composition flowing from the upper left to the lower right) enhanced the "energetic" feeling.  Great job Rick!

Merlin at the Fence
Photographed by Rick Pepin

I really liked Dave Leiker's image of Emanuel Jackson, and enjoyed his description of meeting Emanuel in the little town of Bushong, Kansas.  It is meeting personalities like Emanuel that make life so enjoyable.  This was a great portrait by Dave, and Emanuel's pride in his daughter comes through very strongly in the image.  

Emanuel Jackson
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Character" assignment.  Your images were truly an inspiration to me.

Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:10:15 AM by keithsnell »

Becky Jenner

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Character" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
Thanks for the votes! I had forgotten to mention that I actually took this pic through the truck window.I had spent days trying to come up with a good "character" pic and was with Mike when he stopped at this little pull off which is about 1/2 mile down the road from us and as I was sitting there I noticed the curves of the guardrail and wondered how I had never noticed it before! That's when I snapped a few shots and realized that sometimes we look too hard for something that can be right in front of us.
Becky

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Results and Feedback for the "Character" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:48:05 PM »
Hi Becky,

It's good to hear the story behind the image.  You have a good eye to notice this composition.

Keith