Author Topic: "Err" message on D700  (Read 24365 times)

girod

"Err" message on D700
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »
Hello Keith,

My D700 for the 5th time randomly showed the "Err" message on the control panel while pressing the shutter button then the camera would completely stopped working and worked again randomly too. The only thing that I have not done as per recommendations of Nikon online tech support (remove all accessories and install freshly charged battery) is resetting the camera because I don't know if the reset will also erase the UniWB, the customized linear curve and the firmware update. I'm waiting for Nikon's answer before I do the resetting.

What do you think?

jaime

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: "Err" message on D700
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
Hi Jaime,

As best I can tell from reading the manual, the reset will not affect the UniWB (although it will "reset" the camera's white balance setting to "auto," the UniWB setting should still be available), nor will it affect the firmware update.  The manual does say "If the current Picture Control has been modified, existing settings for the Picture Control will also be restored."  This implies that if your customized linear curve is built from an existing Picture Control, and you have that Picture Control option selected, it will be reset to its original curve.  To be safe I would select one of the other "as shipped" Picture Controls prior to resetting the camera. 

That many Err messages is not good news, and implies something is going wrong with either the shutter mechanism, the mirror mechanism, or the aperture lever.  If your camera is still under warranty I would recommend that you insist that it is repaired.  The aperture lever mechanism can be easily bent if you are in a hurry changing lenses, but repairing it shouldn't be a big deal.  Repairing the mirror mechanism would be more expensive, and if it is the shutter they will probably replace the entire shutter assembly, which can get expensive if not done under warranty. 

I wouldn't delay sending the camera in.  If it is a repeat problem, you will want to allow yourself enough time to invoke the "lemon law" if needed.

Good luck!

Keith

girod

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
Thanks Keith. I just finished talking with Nikon service/repair - I will send the D700 to Melville, NY first thing in the morning.

I hope they will be considerate enough since I purchased the D700 last 8/3/08 (27 days off warranty).

What do you mean by "......you will want to allow yourself enough time to invoke the "lemon law" if needed."

jaime

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »

What do you mean by "......you will want to allow yourself enough time to invoke the "lemon law" if needed."

jaime

Hi Jaime,

It doesn't sound like the "lemon law" applies in this case.  In most states, if you attempt to have a product repaired for the same issue four or more times during the warranty period, or if it is out of service for a total of 30 days because of the fault during the warranty period, then the seller is required to replace the product.  (This law most often applies to cars.)  I've only had one camera in the past that was sent in for related issues three times, and still not repaired satisfactorily.  When the issue recurred for the fourth time, the camera was out of warranty and so the seller had no obligation to replace the camera.  For the most part though, my cameras have been VERY reliable.

On a slightly different note, if you talked to Nikon Service (or the seller) about this issue before the warranty period expired, you may be able to convince them that it should have been repaired under warranty but their remedy was not adequate.  This might be enough of an argument to get the repair done "under warranty." 

When you send the camera in to Melville, they will provide an estimate for the repair based on the initial symptoms (or error description) when the camera is "checked in."  Kind of like a mechanic providing an estimate on car repairs before they even start to attempt the repair.  If you agree to pay for the repairs, they will continue with the repair.  Be warned that they will fix everything they find wrong with the camera in order to bring it back to "as new" condition and then charge you for it.  (Which is why I would never send in a camera for repair if it had "cosmetic" faults, (scratches in the paint, etc.) since they would be prone to repair and charge me for the purely "cosmetic" issues.) 

If you did talk to Nikon Service about the "Err" message before the warranty expired, I would recommend you ask to speak to a supervisor at Melville and get them to authorize the repairs under warranty.

Good luck,

Keith

girod

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »
Thanks Keith.

I sent the D700 yesterday to Melville, they're supposed to receive it Thursday morning.

Unfortunately my D700 is out of warranty - ordered it 8/3/09 (delivered a week later) and the first "Err" message happened on 8/30/09, called them on 8/31/09.

I'm just hoping that they'll be considerate.....if not, I will try to talk to a supervisor as per your advice.

jaime

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 06:08:13 PM »
Jaime,

Good luck.  Please let me know what they decide.  

Keith

girod

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:28:55 PM »
Hello Keith,

The good news is that Nikon-Melville will repair my D700 under warranty despite it being 1 month beyond the 1-year warranty period. As per their online "imaging service status check", the repair is categorized initially as "B1" = "moderate repair, minor part replaced". As of today, the status is "in shop" = "product is in repair process". Based on UPS  tracking, they physically received my D700 on 09/03/09; via e-mail, I received their "acknowledgement and estimate" on 09/09/09.

Hopefully, they'll let me know the specific problem(s). I'll keep you posted.

jaime

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »
Hi Jaime,

I'm very glad to hear they will repair the D700 under warranty.

I wonder if the "minor part replaced" is the aperture lever?  You will probably have to specifically ask them for more detail on the repair.  Unfortunately their standard procedure is to provide a very generic description, which often doesn't give you insight into what they have repaired.

Thanks for letting me know the status.  I always like to keep up to date on these types of things so that I can help others.

Keith

girod

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »
Hello Keith,

I received back my D700 from Melville this afternoon. The service bill said: repaired lens signal pin and replaced CF cardholder rubber; checked - shutter mechanism, aperture lever, meter accuracy and AF system; general check and clean.

You're right, my D700 came back like brand new - very clean outside and inside (mirror, chambers and sensor).

Hopefully, the lens signal pin and the CF cardholder rubber were really the reasons for the "ERR" dysfunction.

jaime

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »
Hi Jaime,

Thank you for the update.  I'll have to add "lens signal pin" to my list of potential causes for the "Err" message.  I'm glad your D700 came back looking brand new, and I hope it gives you many years of trouble-free service. 

Most of my Nikon cameras have given me years and years of trouble-free operation.  The two exceptions were my wife's cameras, and she puts them through rough conditions that I would normally avoid (like standing in heavy spray from a waterfall to capture a cool shot, exposing the camera to caustic steam from a geyser, etc.)  She's rougher on my 4x4 too!

Happy shooting,

Keith