Author Topic: "A Sense of Place," Weekly Photography Assignment for 24 - 30 August 2009  (Read 1371 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
"Sense of place" is one of those "I'll know it when I see it" sort of concepts that is hard to explain.  “Sense of place” refers to the meanings people attach to a unique location as well as their feelings towards that place.  A photo that conveys a "sense of place" is more than a documentary photo of a specific location, and is composed with the goal of conveying an ambiance, mood or feeling consistent with what someone would experience when visiting that place.  Photographers will often compose their images to emphasize attributes (color, light, motion, depth, etc.) in the scene that contribute towards the "feel" of the image, and will often include symbolic elements that convey the "meaning" associated with a place.  "Sense of place" is often tightly linked to culture and can also be conveyed by including people in the scene and illustrating how they relate to or behave within that place.  

The assignment for the week of 24 - 30 August 2009 is "Sense of Place."  Please upload your images to the "Sense of Place" album in the Weekly Assignments category of the Gallery no-later-than midnight Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 30 August 2009.

I will look forward to seeing your images.

Keith

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:33:00 PM by keithsnell »