Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Old" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1365 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Old" photography assignment.  The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image to convey "old," meaning "belonging to the remote past."

I enjoyed the variety of images submitted for this assignment.  I thought Naomi's image of The Sleeping Beauty was a very effective replica of sepia prints from a bygone era.

"The Sleeping Beauty"
Photographed by Naomi

The light on Lars' Old Boat image was beautiful, lending this image a warmth and character that would have been missing in different light.  The subtle highlight on the water also contributed to the success of this composition.  This image reminded me of the old Kodak Photography Guides, or of an image from a 1980s era book on Photography.  Lars' creation has a "classic" feel to it and deserves to be awarded Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

Old boat
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Lars

Congratulations to Sheila, whose, The Wheel image was voted People's Choice for this assignment.  I think what made this image most effective at conveying "old" was that Sheila successfully captured the rough weathered texture of the wood, which is especially evident in the hub of the wheel.  I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

The Wheel
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Sheila Ancheta

I loved the scene in Kay's I wonder what it was like?, and the image really did provoke me to wonder about the history of the place that is depicted.

I wonder what it was like?
Honorable Mention
Photographed by Kay Loudenberry  

I experimented with different crops for this image, thinking that it would have more impact if some of the dead space in the foreground were removed, and more emphasis focused on the old wagon in the middle ground.  The cropped image; however, loses some of the "isolated and desolate" feel of the uncropped image.  It's hard for me to choose which version I like better, but in the end I believe I like the desolate "feel" of the original better.

I wonder what it was like?
Photographed by Kay Loudenberry (alternate crop)

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Old" assignment.  Please feel free to add your comments.

Keith
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:35:39 PM by keithsnell »