Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the Side-Lighting Assignment  (Read 1681 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the Side-Lighting Assignment
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:27:23 AM »
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Side-Lighting" assignment.  In the assignment description I explained that shadows cast by light illuminating your subject from the side will emphasize the surface relief and texture in your subject, and can be used to enhance the "tactile" impressions of an object, especially one with fine detail or texture.  Objects that are effectively side-lit often give the viewer the impression that they could reach out and touch the object, and bring back memories of the sensations experienced when the viewer felt similar objects.

Congratulations to Lars whose beautiful Raspberry on Spot image was selected as People's Choice and awarded Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit.  

Raspberry on spot
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit.  
Photographed by Lars

When Rebecca saw this image, she commented that it felt like she could reach out and pick the raspberry.  The soft side-lighting on the subject gives it a wonderful three-dimensional look and a lifelike appearance that would be missing under harsher light.

This image is a great reminder that when we photograph, we're not recording an image of an object, but actually recording the light reflected from an object.  It is the quality of this light that will have the greatest impact on the success of our image.  Being able to judge the quality of light illuminating your subject is a skill that develops over time, and is a prerequisite to actively controlling the light to obtain your artistic vision.  (One of the techniques we explored during our Crested Butte Photography Workshop was the use of large diffusion panels to diffuse and soften the harsh mid-morning sun illuminating the wildflowers.  This often resulted in a much more pleasing image of the wildflowers.)

Sheila Ancheta's Fruit or Veggie image reminded me of a still-life oil painting and I wanted to recognize this image with an Honorable Mention.

Fruit or Veggie
Honorable Mention
Photographed by Sheila Ancheta

I wondered how this image might look with a little more light, and so used Photoshop's Shadows and Highlights adjustment (and just a touch of sharpening for web display) to create this alternative:

Fruit or Veggie
Photographed by Sheila Ancheta (shadows and highlights adjustment by Keith)

And then in the spirit of "playing" I used the watercolor filter (and additional shadows adjustment) to create this version:

Fruit or Veggie
Photographed by Sheila Ancheta (watercolor filter by Keith)

Thank you again to everyone that participated in the "Side-Lighting" assignment. Hopefully you found that paying attention to the direction and quality of light made a significant difference in your images.

Keith
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:24:15 AM by keithsnell »

burzilai

Re: Results and Feedback for the Side-Lighting Assignment
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »
Thanks Keith!!!
Shee :)

Lars

Re: Results and Feedback for the Side-Lighting Assignment
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:08 AM »
Thanks all
 :)

People's Choice and awarded Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit, not bad at all  :o

Lars