Author Topic: Crested Butte Workshop Scouting, 2010  (Read 2172 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Crested Butte Workshop Scouting, 2010
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »
We came up to Crested Butte a few days early to scout the best locations for this year's photography workshop.  Although we were concerned that we would miss the peak of the wildflower bloom because of the extraordinarily warm weather, the flowers at the higher elevations are awesome.  We're looking forward to a great workshop.

Workshop Amenities
Scouting for wildflowers in Washington Gulch.

Cascade in Robinson Basin
It was a rainy day, but we didn't mind too much since this was a "scouting" day. Most of our scouting shots, including this one, were shot from the car (to avoid getting too wet).  
The small white dots on the hillside are columbine (white and pale blue), with several other types of flowers mixed in.

Robinson Basin
Our trusty steed enjoying the view after successfully delivering us to the top of Green Lake Road, in Robinson Basin. All the other cars gave up much further down the mountain after deciding that the road was impassible. If I hadn't driven this road several times before (back when it was in better shape) I probably would have given up too.

Workshop Camaraderie
Our awesome scouting team at the top of Robinson Basin. Rainy and cold, but still smiling.

Lupine and Mules Ear, Robinson Basin
Shot from the car window on the way back down Robinson Basin. It was pouring rain, and I was in a bit of a hurry to get back down past some of the more treacherous parts of the road. We could literally see parts of the road being washed away as we drove back down the mountain, but again our trusty steed delivered us safely and with very little drama. (Rebecca only grabbed the handle above the door one time. That's my indicator that she's getting a little worried. :-))
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:50:08 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Re: Crested Butte Workshop Scouting, 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:58:32 PM »
Looks like you're having a great time scouting the area, and we're glad you made it back down safe. It's beautiful  up there isn't it?
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:53:07 AM »
The gallery of your scouting is really cool.  Rebecca, I love how you document and take pictures as you go.  It's a lot of fun.  Thank you.  I love Keith's comment about the handle above the door.  Very descriptive.

You know, it looks like you are here in Switzerland.

sue.pepin

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »
Great pictures!  MacKenzie will kill you when she is an adult.  You had better hide this one.  This area reminds me of Yankee Boy Basin!  Wish we were with you.  Have fun.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
Two more from today.  We did a lot more scouting, and didn't spend too much time shooting.  I couldn't resist taking the time to photograph these Rosy Paintbrush.  (One of the six varieties of Paintbrush in the region.)  Yes, they really are this color.  (These images could be improved a bit with post processing, including the addition of a small amount of vignetting, but I'm running out of time.)

Indian Paintbrush
Six species of Indian Paintbrush are common in this region, the most spectacular is the Rosy Paintbrush, which occurs in moist meadow areas.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:22:23 PM by keithsnell »

girod

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:23 PM »
Crested Butte must be one heaven on earth........

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:58:04 PM »
Crested Butte must be one heaven on earth........

Yes it is.

We had a wonderful, long day of photography today in Robinson Basin.  It's 10:45PM Mountain time and we just finished the image critiques from the day.  Everyone managed to produce images that they were proud of, and we had a wonderful adventure exploring the basin together.

I need to get ready for another early start in the morning, and so will have to defer posting images from today until later.

Keith