Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Long Exposure" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1341 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Long Exposure" weekly photography assignment.  The guidelines for the assignment were to create an image using a shutter speed of 1 second or longer.  I encouraged participants to use this opportunity to try to show "motion" in their images by incorporating the blur caused by objects moving within the frame.  

Congratulations to Patrick (kewk) whose Moon, Car, & Stars image won the vote for People's Choice.  Patrick explained in his image description how he used a long exposure and "light painting" with an LED flashlight to create the image.  Light painting can be a fun and effective technique for emphasizing certain aspects of a scene in "low light" situations.

Moon, Car, & Stars
People's Choice
Photographed by Patrick Bowman (kewk)

I thought Sheila's (burzilai's) Gateway Park image was wonderfully done.  Sheila effectively captured the wide dynamic range of this scene in an image with captivating colors.  None of the highlights were objectionably blown, and the "ambiance" of the image was such that I could imagine myself there at the moment in time she captured the image.  Well done.  I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

Gateway Park
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Sheila Ancheta (bruzilai)

I also thought Sheila's Giant Lollipop image was well done.  There were a few blown highlights in the image, but nothing that detracted from the "feel" of the image, which effectively recreated the mood of a nightime carnival.  I like the fact that she capitalized on the long exposure and used the blur of the Ferris wheel to convey the "whirl" of motion and lights that one experiences in a carnival at night.  I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

Giant Lollipop
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Sheila Ancheta (bruzilai)

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Long Exposure" assignment.

Comments and replies to this thread are encouraged.

Keith
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:17:40 PM by keithsnell »

burzilai

Thanks for the nice review.
Shee :)