Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Favorite Places" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1355 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Favorite Places" assignment. My Thinking Spot was chosen as the People's Choice for this assignment.

My Thinking Spot
Photographed by Keith

I've selected Rebecca's  Bridge to Adventure image for an Honorable Mention.  I thought this image did a good job of using linear perspective (using the diminishing size of the bridge as it recedes into the distance to show perspective) to draw the viewer into the scene and across the "bridge to adventure."  Of all the images submitted for this assignment, I thought this one was the best at "inviting the viewer in."

Bridge to Adventure
Photographed by Rebecca

Although there were several other images of very beautiful locations submitted for the assignment, I didn't feel that they "drew the viewer in" as well as they could have.  My reaction when viewing the images was that they lacked "depth," and could have used one of the techniques we have discussed in the past, such as linear perspective, leading lines, inclusion of near, middle, far elements, or one of the other techniques we have discussed to give the image depth and guide the viewer into the scene.

For example, changing the camera position to include near, middle, far elements (instead of just middle, far), or changing the camera location to compose a "leading line" out of the foreground trees, might have provided more of a sense of "depth" to Rick's Great Outdoors image and effectively drawn the viewer into the scene.

The Great Outdoors
Photographed by Rick (trvlrick)

Thank you again to everyone that participated in the "Favorite Places" assignment.  I know it is often difficult to compose an image of your "favorite place" to convey to the viewer what makes this place special to you.  Hopefully this assignment was a good learning experience that will serve to strengthen your ability to compose inviting images of those special places you encounter in your lives.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:14:26 AM by keithsnell »