Author Topic: Results and Feedback from the "Eyes" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1309 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Eyes" assignment.  As you can see from the voting results, there were many good images to choose from in this week's submissions.  I had a tough time picking my favorite, and I'm sure others did also.  In the end, I picked the image that I felt best met the assignment objectives by cropping each image down to just the eyes.  If the eyes themselves conveyed an emotion, then I considered the image a "winner" in this assignment.  It was interesting that when I did this exercise, It appeared to me that McKenzie's eyes and Bodie's eyes were the most expressive.  Perhaps that is because their eyes were "true" to the real emotions they were feeling at the time, and they weren't "acting." 

"McKenzie" barely squeaked in as the People's Choice for this week's assignment.

McKenzie

Congratulations to Naomi, whose Bedroom Eyes image was selected as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  As usual for Naomi, this image was an outstanding combination of photography and post-processing skills.  I loved the way her processing of this image emphasized the color of the eyes and really made them stand out.

Bedroom Eyes
Photographed by Naomi

As an interesting side note, I learned that the angle of lighting was important in capturing the vibrant color in Evan's iris.  Turning his head at just a slight angle to the side-lighting caused the iris to go dark, and significantly reduced the effect of this image. 

Evan

It was interesting for me to note the attention the artist placed in sculping the Lions eyes in the following picture.  If the artist hadn't made the pupils stand out like they did, then the sculpture would have lost much of it's intensity.

Art More Intense than Nature

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Eyes" assignment.  As usual, I learned something while participating in the assignment.  The assignment helped me understand that in order to truly capture an emotion in a portrait, it must be a "genuine" emotion, otherwise the emotion won't come through in the eyes, our "windows to the soul."

Keith
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:09:28 PM by keithsnell »