Author Topic: A day at Vantage WA  (Read 5022 times)

Dave

A day at Vantage WA
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
We headed out from Olympia at around 4pm, and arrived at Vantage at around 8pm. No friends this trip, just me, my wife Lisa, and two of our sons, Dean, and Skylar. Forrest couldn't make it this trip, as he was off competing at debate at state level. He won state champion so it was worth his while to miss out this trip :)...Go Forrest yaaaaaay  ;D

The 'camp cabin' that we had reserved was a pleasant surprise, we usually use tents, but this trip we decided to splurge, and having never seen a 'camp cabin', weren't sure of what to expect.

The matresses were a little shall we say, hmmmm...... dubious? but what do you expect for 29 bucks per night  :P

Nothing that a wipe with hand sanitiser (seen in pic) and some covering couldn't deal with   ;)
Early the following morning it was too cold to climb, so I set out to play with my camera, and had a great time playing on a swing set, taking snaps with a long shutter speed. The effects can be quite dizzying  :P
As the morning warmed up, we headed out to 'the feathers', one of the crags out in the area. What a beautiful day it was turning out to be, sunshine and temps in the mid 60's....perfect climbing weather :). The following snaps aren't in any real order, but you'll get the idea :).
Preparing to lead the first climb, Dean ready to catch me if I fall.
and up we go, not far to the first bolt....it's seen here about 4ft above my head

First bolt 'clipped' and on we go....

Reaching for a draw, to clip into the next bolt, this was a tight spot for me.....

Just one more bolt after this then I'm at the anchor......

Clipping in at the chains....

I made it, time to relax and enjoy the view :)

Lisa up next, tying in, ready to follow my lead on top rope......
And off she goes.....

And she made it :).......

Dean at the anchor.....

Sky tying in, with Lisa preparing to belay...... ......

Sky.....headed for the sky......

And relaxing between burns......

We got a few routes in, but when you've seen one climbing pic, you've seen em all :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:59:49 PM by Dave »

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
Re: A day at Vantage WA
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:09:44 PM »
Awesome that your whole family climbs.  What a great way to spend the weekend.  Thanks for all the descriptions, that helped.  Looks like it was quite warm there.  I looked up Vantage and it appeared to be right in the middle of the state, did I find the right place? 

That cabin looked fun.  The park should use your picture of the outside of the cabin in their advertising - looks warm and cozy and inviting.  Loved your pictures from the swings, I'll have to try that sometime.  All of the hiking pictures are beautiful - good angles - invites the viewer right into the climb!  I really like the final still life shot - perfect closure picture of your story.

Thanks for sharing!
Rebecca

Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
Thanks Rebecca, yes you're right, Vantage is roughly in the center of Washington state, right on the Columbia river. It does get very warm there as it's pretty much a desert, but it was perfect weather for us on the day :). It's east of the cascade mountain range, that squeezes all the water out of the air as it passes over (dropping it all over us where we live to the west).
Later in the year we'll most likely climb closer to home, it's still icy in the mountains at the moment, and so Vantage is a great 'early in the year' place to go (provided the mountain passes are open).
The best climbing shots are taken from above looking down IMHO, but we didn't have time to set that up with so few of us in the party.
Thanks for your input :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:40:48 PM by Dave »

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
Now you have piqued my curiosity.  I personally really like the climbing shots from below (especially way below--like the shot of you almost to the top) as it emphasizes just how far you could fall and how far you have climbed!  When you have time, please post a shot taken from above, I'd like to compare.   I will say, the ones taken straight on are not as impressive as you lose the perspective of just how high up that climber is.

By the way, did you get to rappel down?  My cousin took me out 'bouldering' once and we did a wee bit of technical climbing and he taught me how to rappel down --that was awesome.

Rebecca

Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »
Here are a couple of shots taken by a friend, of me climbing to a vantage point high above a climb in Smith Rock Oregon.
I had my camera in the back pack

And one of me on the ledge at the top

And this is the type of shot I'm after, this is a shot taken by me from the ledge showing Skylar looking for his next hold...
In that shot I wanted to focus on Skylar, but with a deeper dof I think the shot would have had a far greater impact, because height looks higher from when you're up there than when you're down there lol if you know what I mean?
Off all the climbs that day I had my belayer lower me off. I have the choice to rappel, and always carry an atc in case I have to, but usually I have the belayer lower me off just for expediency. That way others aren't waiting as long to get on the climb.
I hope you're cousin showed you an autoblock as part of your rappel training, I never let my kids (or myself) rap without one!!

Michele

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
What great amazing photos!  Your kids and wife look like there into it just as much as you are.  That must be a great feeling.  I like both perspectives up and down.  But I really like the side view with the back towards the camera.  I took a couple of climbing courses (at summer camp when I was about 13, 14, and 15 years old.)  The most fun I had was also when we were taught to "fly" a little down the cliff.  However, they did not let us do it for too long.  They said it was bad for the equipment.  I remember loving that part.  I am not a climber, though.  Considering where I live, that's a shame...   The cabin shot really looks very cool.  The cabins like that one for the climbers up the mountain here are free and surprisingly very clean inside.  (I get the scoop from people I know that cimb and from their photos)  I will show you a couple of cool pics of cabins way up on an Alp that would blow you away.  You are a very lucky man to be able to share your love of climbing with your family.

Michèle

Dave

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:48:02 AM »
Thanks Michele, I climbed for a few years before my family finally drifted into it, but they are quite passionate about it now. It is a great bonding experience for us all, putting your life in someone else's hands really helps to get to know them better!
Someday I would love to travel, and Switzerland is high on my list, Lisa loved it when she was there :)
Although sometimes I miss England, for it's great history and natural beauty, I do love being here in the states, and it's a great place to climb :)

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »
Thank you for the additional shots.  Looking down does give a different feel and you are right the shot of Skylar would have had even more impact with sharp focus throughout the scene.  Now, you'll have to carry a depth of field chart with you (see the focus point assignment from a couple of weeks ago) when you climb :-)

Personally, the shots taken from the bottom looking up that have the sky in them have the most impact--especially when it's vertical and the ground is not in the shot as it gives the appearance of you've climbed very high and still have higher yet to go.  Although looking again at the shots, the ones looking down with sharper focus on the people on the ground also gives you the willies as you realize how far that climber could fall. 

Michele

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
I bet you have family unity.  Wouldn't want to tick off the person holding my life in their hands.  Carefully holding the lines:  "Are you sure you want a new car, son?"  "No daddy, that's ok, I'm happy with my scooter..."   

I really like the photos.  Thank you for sharing them.

Michèle

Dave

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »
Lol Michele  :D

burzilai

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 02:00:57 AM »
Dave great shots here, I've always liked all the images you've submitted. 
Shee :)

Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »
Why, thank you Shee :)