Author Topic: How do I participate in the weekly assignments?  (Read 4028 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
How do I participate in the weekly assignments?
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »
In general, all you need to do to participate in the weekly assignments is read the “assignment description” posted in the forums under Mentoring and Learning => Weekly Photography Assignments, and then upload your images to the weekly assignment album by midnight, Mountain Time (GMT - 07:00) on Sunday of the following week.  I add a new album for each weekly assignment in the “Weekly Assignments” category of the Gallery.  (NOTE:  you can usually access the weekly assignment description through the link in the "Weekly Assignment Update" article on the front page.)

NOTE:  The optimum size for weekly assignment images is 800 pixels on the longest side.  Images larger than this will require many viewers to "scroll" to see the entire image, which will make it much harder to view your intended composition.

To upload your images:

1.  Make sure you are logged in to the site and then click on the “upload file” button in the top right corner of the Gallery page.  

2.  Click “browse” and navigate to where your file is located on your local computer.  Click on the image file, and once the file path populates into the “browse” window, click the “continue” button at the bottom of the “upload file” window.  (If you have more than one image to upload, browse to and select each image prior to clicking the "continue" button.)

3.  You will receive a notification when the file is successfully uploaded to the site and will need to click the “continue” button one more time.  

4.  You will then see an upload window with a thumbnail of the image and a drop-down menu where you need to select the album to place the image in.  Click on the down arrow next to the “select album” prompt, scroll down through the list of albums to the “Weekly Assignment” category, and select the album for that week’s assignment.  After the album name populates in the window, you have the opportunity to type in a title (please do) and a file description and keywords (optional), then click “continue” again.  If you have forgotten to select an album before you click continue, you will see an error message, simply click the “back” button on your browser, select the album and press “continue” again.  

5.  At this point you should see a message that says “you have successfully placed all the files,” and need to click on “continue.”  When you click on continue one last time, you will be brought back to the thumbnail view in the gallery, and should see your image thumbnail under “last additions.”  Clicking on the thumbnail will bring you to that image in the weekly assignment album.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Keith
Spirit of Photography Community Host
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:08:28 AM by keithsnell »

kewk

Re: How do I participate in the weekly assignments?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
While doing some long exposure tests last night I learned a couple things and posted one of the images from my testing. I have a few other ideas for this assignment that I would like to try; will I be able to post these images as well? If multiple images are allowed during that week are all eligible for vote or would it be the first or last image submitted that is eligible?

Thanks!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Hi Patrick,

There is no limit on the number of images you submit for an assignment, although I would ask people to keep it "reasonable,"  probably no more than about five images per person.  You are welcome to place as many images as you want into the assignment gallery, but if you upload a ton of images, please annotate which ones you want to go on to the voting thread.

Thanks!

Keith

kewk

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
Great, thanks for the reply. I doubt I will have enough time to fit in many more of the ideas I have anyways :)

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:56:40 PM »
Thanks for providing such a great learning resource for photographers. Do photographs need to be taken during the week of the assignment?
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:28:49 PM »
Thanks for providing such a great learning resource for photographers. Do photographs need to be taken during the week of the assignment?

Thank you Dave.  I enjoy running the site, and it helps provide the incentive for me to stay up to speed with my photography knowledge and skills too.

I encourage participants to submit photographs taken during the week of the assignment, but it isn't a hard requirement.  I think participants get the most benefit out of the assignment if they actually go out and photograph their images during the assignment week, concentrating on the objectives of the assignment.  One of the overall objectives of having weekly assignments is to provide the incentive for folks to get out and practice their craft regularly.  That said, participants can also learn by reviewing images in their files and selecting those that demonstrate the techniques or meet the criteria described in the assignment.  They don't learn quite as much, but they still learn, and it provides more examples for other participants to learn from.  

Short answer:  Photographs don't need to be taken during the week of the assignment, but it is highly encouraged.  

Personally, I use the assignments as an incentive to get out an practice a particular technique or skill every week, otherwise I find that other more "urgent" things take control of my life and I don't get a chance to photograph as much as I need to in order to stay proficient.  

Thanks for asking,

Keith
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:46:47 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:39:37 AM »
Yes Dave, you have to get off your chair and take the shot during the week of the assignment.   :D

(Just kidding)

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 07:15:12 AM »
Yes Dave, you have to get off your chair and take the shot during the week of the assignment.   :D

(Just kidding)

That applies to me too.  :)  I think sometimes Rebecca is afraid I'm going to wear out the chair where I sit to work on the computer.  Days when I'm having troubles with the website are the hardest.

Michele

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
Well, I am on the computer a lot but I have to say that it follows me around while I do other stuff.  Much of what I do for people is on the computer, so that's why I see when something new comes on.  (Two screens helps as well)

But today bugs me a bit because the weather is beautiful and I am stuck at home because of UPS.  (enter grunt whiny sounds here)  If you aren't home when they come, it would be a long drive to go get whatever it is they deliver.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 07:34:50 AM »
Well, I am on the computer a lot but I have to say that it follows me around while I do other stuff.  Much of what I do for people is on the computer, so that's why I see when something new comes on.  (Two screens helps as well)

But today bugs me a bit because the weather is beautiful and I am stuck at home because of UPS.  (enter grunt whiny sounds here)  If you aren't home when they come, it would be a long drive to go get whatever it is they deliver.

I can empathize.  I've been irritated many times in the past when I felt like UPS was keeping my package hostage.  I always try to ship via FedEX instead.  They are much nicer about letting you pick up your package in the evenings if they try to deliver and you aren't home.

I should be out photographing today, but spent too much time on the computer yesterday, and so stayed home to work on my "to do" list today.