Author Topic: cloning in Photoshop - Part 2  (Read 1608 times)

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
cloning in Photoshop - Part 2
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:07:02 AM »
Sissy wrote:
I don't know where to put my question so I am replying to this message from Rebecca about photo shop and cloning.  I'd like to know step by step how to clone,  layer, how to take something out of a pictures to make the picture good.  example is...I took a picture of someone but I couldn't get them to stand away from the fire extinguiser. so I'd like to take the fire extinguiser out of the photo so the photo can still be good.  I don't have the full version of photoshop...I have photoshop elements 6.....

Thank You....Sissy

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
Re: cloning in Photoshop - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »
Sissy,
What I find works best when cloning is to choose an area of the picture very close to what you are trying to clone out.  For example, if the fire extinguisher you refer to is mounted on a painted wall - choose areas of the wall right near the fire extinguisher (may need to have a small diameter clone tool) and select that area holding down the alt key and clicking.  Then, start cloning by clicking over the area you are wanting to clone out.  Note, the selection area moves in lock step in relation to where your mouse is.  For instance, if your selection is made from the top of the picture and you start cloning moving the mouse upward, you will hit the edge of the picture with your cloning selection and it won't work.  Therefore, think of the direction you will be cloning out and make sure your source selection will move the same direction.    You have to be very aware of the light reflecting on your source area compared to where you are cloning out.  This takes some trial and error to get the tones in the picture to look right.  Usually if you choose source pixels near the part you're cloning out - you are more likely to get the same tone.

Basically, you need to think of it as 'painting' in part of the picture.  So choose what you want painted there by selecting source pixels somewhere else in the picture (including another layer) and then, start painting.

Another hint -- I often clone one area and then select that area as my source to continue cloning next to it.   Having a 'soft edge' tool helps in blending it all together.  

Please reply to this forum thread with more specific questions if this does not help.  Also, post the picture you are wanting to clone the fire extinguisher out and I'll give it a shot.   I welcome any of the other members to reply and explain cloning another way--all different perspectives certainly help.  
Rebecca