Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Resolution" Assignment  (Read 1387 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Resolution" Assignment
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »
Congratulations to Rick whose Let's Get Walking image won the vote for People's Choice and was awarded Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

Let's Get Walking

Rick's image is a great example of communicating an idea through images.  The viewer doesn't have to read the image title to understand that Rick's image is about walking.  Not just walking, but walking with a "goal" in mind.  Great job "composing" this image (Putting elements together to create the whole).  A quick look at the EXIF (shooting) data indicates that Rick used a tripod (the image is shot at 1/8 of a second) and a large aperture to control the depth of field in this image.  Controlling the depth of field helps focus the viewer's attention on the important elements of the scene and reduce the effects of a distracting background.  The carpet is still a bit distracting, so this image might have been a bit stronger if the hiking boot had been placed on an outdoor walking surface.  Rick did a great job balancing the flash with ambient exposure too.  There were only very minor telltale signs in the image that Rick had used flash, and I had to look at the shooting data to confirm my suspicion.  Controlling the angle of flash is a great way to reduce the telltale shadows and produce a more natural looking image.

I've awarded Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit to Becky Jenner's Christmas Cards image.  This is a beautifully composed image that conveys the spirit of the season.

Christmas Cards

I liked Rebecca's Sleep by 7 PM image as well; however I thought the image could have been better balanced between the sleeping baby and the clock.  Because the clock was so much larger and well defined, it had much more emphasis than the sleeping baby. I would like to have seen the clock a little smaller and "softer" (less well defined) to better balance the elements in this scene.

Sleep by 7 PM

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Resolution" assignment.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:42:59 PM by keithsnell »