Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Texture" assignment  (Read 1829 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Texture" assignment
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:40:37 AM »
Thank you to everyone that submitted images for the "texture" assignment.  It was obvious from the images that participants had a lot of fun with this assignment.  I think we were successful at freeing the creativity hiding inside several of the participants.  Great job by all! 

The assignment was to "compose an image to enhance the viewers perception of texture, attempting to evoke a sensation in the viewer that they could reach out and touch (and feel) the texture you are portraying."  Therefore, my criteria for selecting the editors choice images was to view the image and let myself imagine what the texture would feel like if I ran my hand over the object in the image.  The images that evoked the strongest tactile sensation of texture were judged as the most successful at meeting the goals of the assignment. 

We had another tie this week, with Lars' Brush image and Becky Jenner's Sweet and Juicy image receiving the same number of votes for People's Choice

brush

Sweet & Juicy!

Congratulations Lars and Becky. 

I used Photoshop's vignette control, along with a layer mask to reduce the shadow on the front of the corn cob, and then sharpened the image just a bit to bring out the texture:

Sweet & Juicy! modified

It should be apparent that the quality and direction of the light was one of the primary determinants of how successful the participants were at portraying texture.  Naomi's Woven Seagrass image, Rod's Bus Depot Wall image, Rebecca's Edible or Not? and my Raw Wood image were all successful at using the quality and direction of light to enhance the perception texture.

Woven Seagrass

Bus Depot Back Wall

edible or not?

Raw Wood 

I've chosen Rod's Bus Depot Back Wall as Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.  This image evoked the most "tactile" sensation when I imagined running my fingers over the surface of the wall.  I could imagine the almost painful feeling of the rough texture of the wall, with the skin of my fingers catching on the sharp points of sand adhering to the wall.

Bus Depot Back Wall

I've awarded Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit to Becky Jenner's MMMMM! image of the cookies.  I thought this image was successful at evoking several "senses."  I was hungry when I viewed the image, and it made my mouth water.

MMMMM!

I tweaked the image a bit in Photoshop by using the "cooling filter" (under the image adjustments => photo filters menu) to correct the too warm white balance.  Adjusted the contrast using "levels" and added just a bit of sharpening to bring out the texture:

Thank you again to everyone that participated in the assignment.  We'll try to have more "fun" assignments in the future.

P.S.
You are also invited to add your comments on these images to this thread.  If you are the originator, you can add more detail about the image, or if you have a comment or question on someone else's image, please feel free to post a reply to this thread.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:39:20 AM by keithsnell »

Becky Jenner

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Texture" assignment
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:41:59 PM »
Thanks Keith! I have Irfanview,Picasa 2 and now Paint.net....we'll see what happens!
Becky