Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Action" Assignment.  (Read 1494 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Action" Assignment.
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:31:53 PM »
Thank you to everyone who participated in the "action" assignment.  In honor of the Olympics, our assignment was to photograph images of action, preferably charged with emotion and excitement. 

Rebecca's "Coming Through" image won the vote for People's Choice, and is awarded the Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  I like the way this image captures the personalities and emotions of the three children.

Coming through!

I had a tough time deciding between this image and Rebecca's "Out for a Splash" image, but in the end, the woman in the background of "Out for a Splash" was just too distracting for me.

Out for a splash!

I was impressed that Rick managed to catch four hummingbirds at the feeder in his "Hummingbirds Feeding Frenzy" image.  Good job selecting a high enough ISO to give you the shutter speed required to stop (most of) the action, and good job selecting a wide enough aperture to blur the background.  I should tell you that one of the "secrets" to good hummingbird photography is to use an external flash.  This will give you great color on the feathers, and help stop the motion as well.

Hummingbirds Feeding Frenzy

As usual, Naomi submitted some great images.  I was impressed with her "Triple Action" image and awarded this image Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.  Naomi did a great job creating the composite for this image.

Triple Action

Thank you again to everyone that participated in the "action" assignment.

Keith

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:00:11 PM by keithsnell »