Author Topic: Weekly Assignment: "Near, Middle, Far," 18 - 24 August 2008  (Read 1625 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Weekly Assignment: "Near, Middle, Far," 18 - 24 August 2008
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:57:24 PM »
This week's assignment explores a technique that is probably the single most important composition technique for creating a successful "grand scenic" image.  Most of us have struggled at one time or another with our "grand scenic" images.  These are the images that attempt to capture the landscape on a "grand scale," to show the vast expanse of an endless "grand" landscape that recedes into the distance.  Unfortunately, many times when we view the resulting images after returning home, they look 2-dimensional, and fail to convey that feeling of "vast expanse" that we remember. 

The key of course, is to compose the image in order to convey a sense of "depth" to the viewer.  There is one more technique, that when used in conjunction with the linear and atmospheric techniques we've already covered, will result in images with "depth" that serves to draw the viewer into the scene.  This technique is often called "near, middle, far," and as the name implies, the technique entails arranging the composition so that it includes "near," "middle," and "far" compositional elements. 

In the image below, I've intentionally cropped out the "near" compositional elements.  The resulting image appears "flat" and 2-dimensional, without the sense of scale that I experienced while viewing the actual scene. 

Compare this to the original image, where I've included "near" elements, and more of the trees and shadows in the "middle" distance.  The inclusion of these "near" and "middle" elements adds dimensionality and depth to the image, and helps to convey the grand scale of the scene in front of the viewer.

Now is a good time to take another look at some of your favorite landscape images, and this time pay attention to how many of these images include "near, middle, far" elements.  (Really, please, take a break and look at some of the grand scenic images in those photography books you've been collecting.)  I think you will find that almost all of the successful "grand scenic" images use this technique in some way or another.

The assignment for the week of 4 – 10 August is “Near, Middle, Far".  You should arrange your composition to include "near," "middle," and "far" elements.  Try to use this technique in conjunction with the other composition techniques we've already covered, including both linear and atmospheric perspective.  Please upload your images to the “Near, Middle, Far” album in the “Weekly Assignments” category by midnight Mountain Standard Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 24 August 2008. 

Keith

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:39:17 AM by keithsnell »