Author Topic: Balance  (Read 1985 times)

dsblack

Balance
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:39:43 AM »
http://community.spiritofphotography.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=55

There were quite a few elements that came together in this picture to achieve a nice balance.  Some of them were intentional, some of them were luck.  I can go into them if anybody wants, but I'd kind of prefer to see what others think first.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Balance
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:11:09 AM »
Dan,

One thing I've noticed about your images is that they are very well named.  In effect, the name of the image becomes an integral part of the compostion.   In this case, naming the image "balance," causes the viewer to look at the relationships between the elements in the compostion.  Anytime you can get the viewer to examine the relationship between different elements, you are well on your way to a "successful" image.  I found myself not only looking at the visual "balance" between the elements, but also thinking about the physical aspects of their balance, and the interplay between these elements in a much larger balance of life.  If that was your intention when composing the image, you were very successful.

One of the techniques I recommend to workshop participants is to name their images BEFORE they snap the shutter.  This enables them to "verbalize" and better understand their intentions with taking the image, and allows them to adjust the compositional elements in their image to better convey their message.

I've enjoyed your images you have posted and would love to see more.

Keith

dsblack

Re: Balance
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
Thanks... but most of mine at home just end up with the number the camera gave it.  (Which would actually make it easier to find again later...)

For this one, the name just came to me since that's what I was focusing on during the editing process, and it seemed to fit perfectly.  I'm afraid that will be the exception, though.  So far on this site, I've been capitalizing the titles where I actually intend that to be the title, and lowercasing the ones where it's more of a label than a title.

That's a really good suggestion about naming the images before taking the shot, at least for shots that aren't fast action.  That would definitely help plan the feel you want for the picture.