Author Topic: New Voting System for Weekly Assignments  (Read 2809 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
New Voting System for Weekly Assignments
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:58:43 AM »
After examining the options available, I'd like to try implementing a new voting system to enable members to vote on their favorite images from the "weekly assignments."  I know that voting on an "assignment" makes for kind of an awkward mix between an opportunity to learn (try new things and make mistakes) and a contest, but I think the "voting" will be fun and will encourage participation.  I'd like to continue to refine the process based on your feedback.  I'm still considering some sort of prize or incentive for the winning image, so please let me know if you have any ideas.

The "voting" will be based on the "polling" capability built into the forum software.  I've enabled "polling" on this post so you can see how it works.  I encourage you to respond to the poll attached to (the top of) this post so I can gauge the general feeling with respect to "voting" for weekly assignments. 

With this "new" voting system, each member will have one vote, and one vote only, that they can use to vote for their favorite "assignment" image.  I've given users the ability to "remove" and resubmit their vote during the voting period.  Other member's votes will be "masked" until the voting period ends, at which time the voting results will be displayed.  The instructions for each assignment will clearly state when the time period starts and ends for submitting and voting on images.  Because of the way the polling feature is programmed, I will have to set a time for the voting period to end.  Unless there are any objections, I will set the cutoff time for midnight, Mountain Daylight Time (GMT-07.00 Hours) on Sunday.  The polling function will automatically "lock" at this time and will no longer accept votes. 

(NOTE:  while viewing the poll, you will see a notice like this:  "Voting closes: June 23, 2008, 12:00:12 AM."  This should be your "local" time, adjusted to sync with midnight at GMT-07:00.  If this is incorrect, then you will need to set your "time offset" in your profile.  Click on the "profile" button on the menu bar and then select "Look and Layout Preferences" in the menu on the left.  Look for the section titled "Time Offset."   Usually clicking on "auto detect" will set the right offset.  If this doesn't work then manually type in the offset (in hours) and click "change profile" at the bottom of the page.)

In addition to the "People's Choice" determined by the vote, I would like to also pick an "Editor's Choice" and may choose to segment this Editor's Choice even further by picking an image based on "artistic merit" and "technical merit."

My goal with the weekly assignments is to encourage you to experiment and learn, and so I would like to be able to make suggestions and comments on the images that are submitted for the assignments.  I'd like to make this a positive experience for everyone that participates.  I know that participation requires that you take time out of your busy lives, and so I want everyone to feel they get some benefit out of participating. 

I'd like to test this new voting process with the images in the "isolation" and "color" albums to see how will it works.  I've started new threads in the "Weekly Assignment" Forum Category for each of those weekly assignments.  Please hop on over to those threads and help me test out the voting process.

Isolation:  http://community.spiritofphotography.com/index.php?topic=98.msg243#msg243

Color:  http://community.spiritofphotography.com/index.php?topic=99.0

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have and questions and Please let me know how I can continue to make this process better. 

Keith
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:35:03 PM by keithsnell »

rod1

Re: New Voting System for Weekly Assignments
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »
Hello Keith. I 'voted', but as usual with these type of polls, felt my selection was somewhere in-between the first three options. Not necessarily, "strongly agree". None the less, the whole concept of "voting" on an image every week lets me personally examine  my own ideas/concepts/stylistic approach, and balance/compare that, with the views and ideas of others. I like the ability to comment on the images that is contained within the software and have personally appreciated all comments and suggestions. Have found myself returning to review images a number of times during the week, each time finding new 'things' to consider for each image. Best Wishes, Rod.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: New Voting System for Weekly Assignments
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »
Rod,

Thank you very much for your comments.  I agree that the ability for others to comment on images is probably the best feedback and tool for learning.

I'll try the "voting" and see how it goes.  Please continue to provide feedback throughout the process.

Thanks,
Keith