Author Topic: "Framed," Weekly Photography Assignment for 28 September - 4 October 2009  (Read 1544 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
An effective technique for enhancing a composition, providing context, or adding depth or dimensionality to an image is to include a natural frame for the scene.  One of the most common implementations of this technique is to shoot the scene through an archway or window.  I've noticed that Cindy Miller Hopkins takes advantage of this technique whenever the opportunity presents itself on her travels.  Here are two examples from the many wonderful images that she has posted in the Gallery:

St. Basil crowd
Photographed by Cindy Miller Hopkins

Oman Traffic
Photographed by Cindy Miller Hopkins

Joyce Donaldson also utilizes this technique in many of her images, including this beautiful image of Antelope Canyon where she took advantage of a natural frame to enhance the perception of depth in the image.

Antelope Canyon
Photographed by Joyce Donaldson (csrdrunner)

And one more example of an image that uses a natural frame:

Taylor Head Provincial Park, Nova Scotia Canada
Photographed by Keith

If you browse through the Gallery, you can see many other examples where the photographer used an element of the scene to "frame" the image.

The assignment for the week of 28 September - 3 October 2009 is "Framed."  Please upload your images to the "Framed" album in the Weekly Assignments category of the Gallery no-latter-than midnight Mountain Time (GMT - 07:00) on Sunday, 4 October 2009.

I'll look forward to seeing your images.

Keith
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:48:36 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Great assignment. It's something I don't work into images nearly enough. Like your other assignments, it helps us stretch our vision and opens new possibilities. I'm ready through the earlier assignments and learning much from the submissions and technical tips.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thanks Dave,

This assignment turned out tougher than I thought it would be.  I've been keeping my eyes open all week for a good scene to photograph for this assignment, and have yet to find one I'm happy with.  Time to go searching...

Keith