Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Captivating" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2870 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Captivating" assignment.  The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image that captures your viewer's attention and interest.

Jack's photograph of the Africian Watusi bull certainly met the criteria of an image that captured my interest.  I was fascinated to learn that one of the reasons the bulls horns are so large is that it helps keep the bull cool during hot weather.  The interaction between the two animals made this a more interesting image as well, and Jack did a good job blurring out the background to keep if from being too distracting.  Very nicely done.

Look Into My Eyes
Photographed by Jack Powers

Jack's image of the Sycamore was nicely done as well.  It's interesting how the different elements of this image come together to make this into a more captivating image.  To me, the detail in the bark on the lower trunk is a key element in drawing my attention and making the tree seem real.  From there the leading line of the trunk draws me further into the scene and the linear perspective (diminishing size of the trunk and branches) gives the image depth, and provides the viewer with a sense of looking up into a tall tree.  This was a great study of a tree, with the small details contributing towards an image that was greater than the sum of its parts.  Well done.

Sycamore
Photographed by Jack Powers

Luc's image of captivating eyes is very appropriately named.  As we've discussed many times in the past, the eyes are one of the most important elements in a portrait.  Luc did a great job capturing this shot, especially considering that the eyes were in shadow.  (I assume that the light was somehow being reflected back into his daughters face by a warmly colored wall?)

captivating eyes
Photographed by Luc Bigler

I have to admit that I was distracted by the multi-colored moire in the black cloth.  (This is often caused when the fine detail in an image exceeds the Nyquist or maximum sampling frequency of the sensor.)  Since the fabric was black, I knew it would be fairly easy to fix in post processing.  I simply pulled the image into photoshop, added a duplicate layer, converted that layer into black and white and then used a layer mask to blend the (now pure black) fabric back into the color layer below.  While I was at it, I adjusted the exposure of the cloth slightly to let more emphasis be placed on the eyes.  I've posted the modified version of this (already great) image just below.  

(I should also note that the color rendition between the two images is slightly different, because for some reason the website doesn't properly read the color space embedded in the version of the image Luc uploaded.  Once I modified the image in Photoshop the website was able to correctly read the color space.  It's a mystery...)

captivating eyes
Photographed by Luc Bigler (moire reduction in photoshop by Keith)

Lars' On the Wall image captivated me because of the unique combination of abstract design with the "hyper real" detail and texture in the towels.  I'm guessing that Lars achieved this effect by using a relatively wide aperture at a close focus distance, therefore limiting the depth of field to a small "slice" of the surface of the towels.  Very interesting image Lars, and captivating enough that it makes me want to reach out and touch the towels.

On The Wall
Photographed by Lars

I agree with Michele that "Sometimes "captivating" is a moment just caught in time," and she did a fantastic job capturing Lauren in midair in her Action! shot.  Great expression, and the motion effect of zooming the lens during the exposure was a great contribution to making this a dynamic and captivating image.  Wonderful job capturing this moment in time, Michele.

Action!
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Rick did a great job capturing Alex being captivated by all the chocolates.  I was very impressed with the way Rick balanced the fill flash with the ambient exposure in this image.  If I was in a similar situation, I might have bumped the ISO up just a bit in order to shoot at a faster shutter speed and limit the possibility of motion blur caused by camera or subject movement.  (Rick shot this image at 1/20th of a second.)  I don't see any blur in this image, but just to be safe...

Alex was very captivated with all the chocolates
Photographed by Rick Pepin (TrvlRick)

Rick also did a great job balancing fill flash and ambient exposures in his image of The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.  (I notice he also used a higher ISO with this image, which enabled him to shoot at a slightly higher (and probably safer) shutter speed.)  This is a very nice composition that showcases the extent of all the chocolates, and shows the chocolate making equipment in the background.  Nicely done Rick.

The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
Photographed by Rick Pepin (TrvlRick)

I enjoyed Rebecca's series of images in her Good to the last drop composite.  I think the first expression is the most captivating.  I thought Rebecca did a great job tying all of these image together with the red frame.  

Good to the last drop
Photographed by Rebecca

Of all the images submitted for the assignment, Lars' image of The Last Struggle tugged at my heart the most.  This image was a very nice tribute to his beloved Benji and their 22 years together.

The Last Struggle
Photographed by Lars

I'm glad many of you enjoyed my shot of McKenzie's Nap Hair.  She's quite the character, and I'm sure we have many more years of captivating moments to look forward to.  Rebecca was kind enough to hold up a pink baby blanket behind McKenzie so that I could shoot this quick grab shot without a distracting background.

Nap Hair
Photographed by Keith

Rick did a great job with the lighting in his image of Bodie and her cookie; although, I thought the rendering could have been a little lighter in the midtones.  I pulled the image into Photoshop and used the "lighter" preset under the curves dialog, and then added just a touch of magenta with the color balance adjustment to counter the slight green cast.  (Using the curves adjustment allows you to adjust the midtones while still protecting the highlights, and perhaps is a little more effective than an exposure or levels adjustment in this case.)   I've posted the modified image below for your consideration.

Bodie and her cookie
Photographed by Rick Pepin

Bodie and her cookie
Photographed by Rick Pepin, curves and color modified by Keith

Marilyn's series of images from Red Rock Canyon were VERY intriguing.  The detail in the bubbles in her Mysterious bubbles images just grabbed my attention.  This simple image was perfectly exposed and very effectively composed to capture the atmosphere of this scene.

Mysterious bubbles
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

I loved the mysterious aura of Marilyn's Waterfall into an ice crater.  The mysterious mood and fairy tale forms intrigued and captivated me so much that I selected this image as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

Waterfall into an ice crater
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit

The dark tones helped reinforce the mysterious and fairy tale feeling of this image; however, this was such an amazing image that I was compelled to play with it a bit in Photoshop.  I used the curves adjustment with the "enhance per channel contrast" and "snap midtones to neutral" options to render the image below.  It's a bit more dramatic than the first rendition, but not necessarily better, depending on what feeling you are trying to evoke in the viewer.  (Probably something half way in between, with different areas optimized for contrast and brightness would be better?)

Waterfall into an ice crater
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney, curves and contrast adjustment by Keith

Marilyn's Fractures and reflections image was the well deserved selection for People's Choice.  The little wisps of light (reflections) on the ice on the surface of the water are what intrigue me most. That, and the "painterly" effect the ice imparts on the rocks below. I would loved to have discovered and explored this scene.

Fractures and reflections
People's Choice

I couldn't help playing with this image in Photoshop either.  I tried to crop the image to emphasize the areas that I found most intriguing, while eliminating the overexposed portions of the ice and the foreground rocks that I found distracting.  Here's the crop (with just a tiny bit of smart sharpening added in Photoshop):

Fractures and reflections
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney, cropped by Keith

Alan's image of the Guardian Angel was a captivating scene, and again I liked the image enough to play with it a bit in Photoshop.  

Guardian Angel
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot)

I used a curves adjustment with the "enhance per channel contrast" and "snap midtones to gray" options selected.  I also added a bit of smart sharpening to make the detail on the trunk pop a bit more.  Again, depending on the mood you are trying to portray, you might prefer the first image for its more foreboding mood, or the second image for its more vibrant colors and light.

Guardian Angel
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot), contrast enhanced by Keith

I love the mood Dave captured in his Valentine Card image.  The image perfectly evokes the feel of a chilly winter morning in a small town.

Valentine Card
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Dave's image of Anderson Memorial had a wonderful feeling to it as well.  It provoked such strong memories of late night/early morning walks in solitude through the biting cold that I could almost feel my ears stinging from the cold and hear the super cold snow squeaking under my feet.  Wonderful, very evocative image Dave.

Anderson Memorial
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Michele's image of Lauren skating with the big boys was an excellent composition.  As Dave noted, the contrast and lines in this composition did an outstanding job of directing the viewer's attention toward Lauren's face.  I loved the expression in this one too.  Intent, but maybe just a little bit exhausted too.   The vignetting and rendering as a black and white image both strengthened the presentation.  Well done Michele.

Lauren skating with the big boys
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment.  Your images were indeed captivating, and it was educational for me to learn what captivates you.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:08:12 PM by keithsnell »

jpowersrrt

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Captivating" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the great commentary on all the photo's, that was very helpful to me. I look forward to future post and reviewing the other photographers photo's, they all do such a wonderful job. = jack

marilyn

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:34:04 AM »
Wow!  I think I have the magic of Lost Creek Canyon to thank for providing the opportunities for interesting shots.  It really did have  a very magical, mystical, mysterious feel on that day.  I greatly appreciate seeing the various crops and editing results and comments.  Clay had also suggested cropping the Fractures and Reflections image more than I did - like yours, Keith but probably not as much.  It's interesting how easy it is to get hung up on wanting to keep certain parts.  But I really appreciate the way you played with both images, actually explaining what you did and why.  Such valuable insights.  And not that one is necessarily better that the other -- it all depends on perspective. Comments on the other images are also helpful.  I concur, Jack! Thanks to everyone for the amazing images that were submitted -- it's so interesting how different they are while addressing the same topic....

Michele

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »
Bravo!!!  Bravo!!!  Remember my message? I am serious.  Beautiful shots, both of them!

marilyn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »
Thanks Michele -- for your support and your inspiration! You rock!

Michele

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
Not this week, hon, you ROCK!