Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Smells" Weekly Photography Assignment.  (Read 2487 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were to try to compose an image that would evoke a memory of a smell.

Rick's Sheep in the Pasture image was definitely one of the most expressive images I've seen of a sheep.   I think it must be english royalty, with it's pursed lips and haughty stare.  Hmmm, I wonder if the sheep is disdainful because Rick isn't using a tripod?  :)  I'll have to admit, though, that at least for me, the image didn't evoke the memory of a smell.  Perhaps it has been too long since I've been around sheep.  Great job controlling the exposure and depth of field on this image Rick.  It was also very nicely composed.

Sheep in the pasture
Photographed by Rick Pepin (trvlrick)

Sue's Baby Goat image made me want to reach out and touch the soft fur.  The angle of the warm soft light on the goat helped to accentuate its fine coat, and helped me imagine the silky feel of the goats fur.  Although it has been too long since I have been around goats to remember what they smell like, this image brought to mind the distinctive smell of a livestock barn.  It's a lovely portrait, with the soft light and texture inviting the viewer to imagine what it would feel like to reach out and touch the goat.  This image was the well deserved People's Choice and I've awarded it Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

Baby Goat
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Sue Pepin

Tanya's Smell the Roses image was another very nice portrait.  I really liked the framing of this image, and the choice of f2.8 for the aperture was very effective, slightly softening the portrait to accentuate the dreamy feeling, while softening the background enough that it didn't distract from the primary subject.  I suspect that a smaller aperture would have resulted in the background being too busy, thus detracting from the overall success of the image.  I see from the EXIF data that Tanya was using the "Portrait" exposure mode, which will default to larger apertures, and therefore soften the background to produce the pleasing effects that we see in this image.  Nicely done Tanya.

Smell the Roses
Photographed by Tanya Mackenzie

Dave's image of Charlie Brown's Market was the one that evoked the strongest memory of smells for me.  Looking at the image immediately brought to mind the earthy smell of potatoes and the scent of onions, with undertones of the musty smell of an old grocery.  I think many of us would have been tempted to use flash in this situation but Dave's decision to bump up the ISO and use ambient light was a very good choice.  Using the more subdued ambient light (instead of the harsh light of a flash) definitely helped portray the distinctive atmosphere and character of this wonderful old grocery.  Great job Dave,

Charlie Brown's Market
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

The smoke in Cris' Brats image definitely evoked the smell and ambiance of food cooking on the grill.  I might have tried cropping out the hand at that top of the image, since it tends to grab the viewer's attention away from the primary subject.  Great job evoking the smells of a barbeque Chris.

Brats
Photographed by Chris Franklin

I thought it was interesting to be able to compare Marilyn's two images of the coffee grinder.  Which image do you find more interesting?  For me, the second Sunday morning brew image was the more successful of the two.  Not only did Clay's hand add a human element to the image, but the coffee grounds were more sharply focused, showing more detail and texture.  Since I too must have my morning cup of coffee before I can function, the images were definitely successful at reminding me of the smell of fresh ground coffee.  Excellent job Marilyn, especially on the second image.

There is also one more issue with the first image that is unfortunately caused by the website.  I've set up the website to automatically downsize images that are uploaded at sizes greater than 1024 pixels on the longest dimension.  Unfortunately, when the website software downsizes the image it also strips out the EXIF (shooting data) and color space tag.  Because the color space tag is stripped from the image, color managed browsers such as Safari and Firefox won't be able to display the image colors correctly.  On my wide gamut monitor, the first image is displayed with colors that are too saturated.  In order to avoid having the EXIF and color space tag removed from the image, you should downsize your image to 1024 pixels on the longest side before uploading the image to the website.

Waiting to be ground
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

The focus point and aperture for Marilyn's Sunday morning brew image were perfectly selected to accentuate the detail and texture in the coffee beans.  It was this texture that was the primary contributor towards evoking the smell of fresh roasted coffee beans.  I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

Sunday morning brew
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Rebecca's Smells like Trouble image was a fun shot of two "stinkers."  :)  I thought the white balance was a little off (too green) in the image, so I pulled it into photoshop to correct the color tint.  (I've noticed that often images shot under thin clouds or hazy conditions will result in the white balance tint being slightly on the green side.  Both Nikon Capture and Adobe Camera Raw have a "tint" slider that will allow you to correct the greenish tint by pulling the slider toward magenta.  I could have asked Rebecca for the raw file and corrected it in the raw processing software, but I was too lazy and first tried correcting the JPEG with Photoshop.)  Here's the image Rebecca submitted:

Smells like Trouble
Photographed by Rebecca

To correct the color tint in Rebecca's image, I simply used the curves adjustment in Photoshop, selected the gray point eyedropper and clicked on a white area in the image that should have a neutral color tint.  I could see from the curves display that this slightly decreased the green channel and very slightly increased the red channel.  Here's the curves window showing the (center) eyedropper used for setting the gray point:

And here's the adjusted image (It's best to view the changes in a color managed browser like Safari):  (Note that correcting white balance in the raw file will usually produce better results than trying to correct the JPEG.)

Smells like Trouble
Photographed by Rebecca, corrected grays to neutral in Curves dialog

My two Lavender and Bee images were taken on an early morning walk, and the flowers were in deep shadow.  That explains the use of ISO 3200, and the flat lighting.  The lavender was quite a jumble, so I searched for a composition that would help isolate a portion of the flowers from the background in order to minimize the distractions.

Lavender? and Bee
Photographed by Keith

Lavender?
Photographed by Keith

My Douglas Fir image was taken on the same early morning walk, and I immediately noticed the smell of the fir tree as I walked under it's dense canopy.  I was fascinated by the unique light on the branches of the fir, which were lit from beneath by the early morning sun reflecting off the lake.

Douglas Fir
Photographed by Keith

Thank you again to everyone that participated in this assignment.  I enjoyed viewing your images and imagining the smells they evoked.  Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith

Chris

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Smells" Weekly Photography Assignment.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »
Thanks Keith. I agree about the hand. I didn't care for the crop either though. Was tough to decide which to upload. I decided more smoke on the screen was better.  :D

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »
Thanks Keith. I agree about the hand. I didn't care for the crop either though. Was tough to decide which to upload. I decided more smoke on the screen was better.  :D

That makes sense.  Next time you photograph a similar scene I bet you remember to reframe the composition so that the hand isn't so obtrusive.  That's one of the ways that practicing through these assignments makes us better photographers.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
Congratulations Sue and Marilyn on your beautiful and fragrant images.   Thank you Keith for the kind critique, though I have to say I wasn't really very thoughtful on this image.  Cheryl and I were on our way to Franklin when we saw the market sign, and stopped to explore.  Most of my shots were done under the store lighting.  As I was leaving, though, I looked back and saw how light from the open door flooded the interior and I knew it was the photo I was looking for.  But it was a quick'n dirty snapshot on the way out the door. Later on I was wishing I'd taken more pains to do it better. Partly, I didn't want to annoy the poor lady any more than I already had.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

marilyn

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:05:14 AM »
Thanks for the helpful comments, Keith.  I'm so sorry about the image size.  I was racing to upload the files and I think I just overlooked or sent the wrong copy. I actually liked the one with Clay's hand better too.  I posted a couple of shots of me trying to get the shot in my gallery -- they are pretty funny.  I need to go back to an earlier discussion or email to find how to upload them to the forum.  Sue, I love your photo!

Michele

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 03:47:36 AM »
They were very cool shots.  I liked so many of them.  But that baby goat, soooooo cute!  Stole my heart.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »
Thanks for the helpful comments, Keith.  I'm so sorry about the image size.  I was racing to upload the files and I think I just overlooked or sent the wrong copy. I actually liked the one with Clay's hand better too.  I posted a couple of shots of me trying to get the shot in my gallery -- they are pretty funny.  I need to go back to an earlier discussion or email to find how to upload them to the forum.  Sue, I love your photo!

No worries on the image size Marilyn, I just used the opportunity to provide a "helpful hint" that might help folks that were trying to figure out why their images weren't displaying correctly (or why the shooting data wasn't displaying correctly).  

To display the images in a forum post, all you need to do is copy the link at the very bottom of page where you are displaying the image in the gallery.  (It's prefaced by a description that says "Copy and Paste link to display in forum.")  Just highlight the line in the white box, copy it and then paste it into your forum post where you want the image to appear.  

Hope that helps.

Keith