Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Finding Inspiration" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2632 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were simply to photograph something that inspires you and fuels your creativity as a photographer.  Thank you to everyone that participated in this week's assignment, especially Jaime, who started us off on such an inspirational note with his Whisper... that I may see image, and the poetic caption.  This was a stunning image, with amazing detail and clarity.  The color was perhaps just a bit too saturated on my wide gamut monitor, but didn't detract from this image.  The composition was exquisite, and perfectly framed the sensuous forms of the flower.  We should always be careful about including bright "blown out" areas in the background, lest they steal the viewer's attention away from the primary subject; however, in this case the primary subject was so eye-catching that the background wasn't distracting.  Awesome image Jaime!  Thank you very much for inspiring us.  I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

whisper...that i may see
as i grow, i'm giving up so much irrelevance and simply come back to my senses to be inspired constantly.
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Jaime Dorotan (Girod)

Rebecca's Just a little help from my friends was a well composed image with a great message. Rebecca did a great job making the best of a scene with challenging high-contrast lighting.  Sometimes capturing the moment means you have to photograph in less than optimum lighting conditions and then make the best of it in post-processing.

Just a little help from my friends
"... all help to make it go..."
Photographed by Rebecca

Dave's Potter's Hands image was the well-deserved People's Choice, as well as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  Dave did a wonderful job using the available light to emphasize the "wet" of the clay.  (It's the reflection of that light in the clay that gives us the perception of "wet" isn't it?  If Dave had shot from a different angle, or accidentally blocked the light with his body, we wouldn't have been able to use that cue to perceive the wetness of the clay.)  He also masterfully controlled the shutter speed to allow a bit of blur to show the motion of the wheel, while at the same time keeping parts of the scene sharp.  This is a challenge to do at 1/30th of a second, and takes a conscious effort from the photographer.  And as usual, Dave's framing and composition complemented the subject perfectly.  Very well done Dave!

Potter's Hands
'Humble Clay', Larry Matson's studio in Cottonwood Falls. The front room, right off the street, is small but filled with texture: tools, finished pieces, buckets of clay, and dozens of things that trigger the potter's imagination. Most especially I'm most inspired by his attitude toward creativity and the need for work to be an important part of our lives.
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

I appreciated the message in Michele's image of A blank canvas.  We have that opportunity so many times with our photography.  We chose what to "see" and what to include in our frame and how to compose the elements to convey something about our subject.  Just walking around with my camera with the intent to explore opens up so many creative possibilities.

A blank canvas
"...a white canvas full of possibilities..."
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

I also empathized with Lars inspiration from the little beetle in his rests on my window image.  It doesn't take much to spark our inspiration if we are open to the possibilities.  I loved the different perspective from photographing this beetle from the "underside" and the background was a nice pleasing abstract blur of colors.  This was one of the most artistic images I've seen of a beetle in a long, long, time.  (It's amazing how those little bug eyes of the beetle allow it to see almost 360 degrees around its body!)

rests on my windows
"This little Beetle on my windows today did help me to find inspiration to get out and shot some macros."
Photographed by Lars

Tanya's Blue Jay image was a wonderful example of how the color and variety in nature can provide limitless inspiration.

Blue Jay
"Color and variety in nature..."
Photographed by Tanya Mackenzie

I took a moment to try a few enhancements to this image in Photoshop in order to add a bit of clarity to the Blue Jay.  First I added a bit of selective sharpening (using smart sharpen in conjunction with a layer mask) to the Blue Jay, then I used the shadows and highlights tool to lower the intensity of the highlights on the rock in front of the jay.  Finally I assigned a color space to the image (I had to guess at what the appropriate color space was) in the hopes that a color aware browser would be better able to portray accurate colors for this image.  Here's the result:

Blue Jay
"Color and variety in nature..."
Photographed by Tanya Mackenzie, sharpening and highlight reduction by Keith

Having a young son of my own, Alan's image titled My Son (and the accompanying quote) was an inspiration to me.  Alan did a great job capturing an image of his son that conveyed his pride in this young man.  Don't be afraid to "tone down" or de-saturate areas of an image that detract from the primary subject.  

My Son
"You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes." ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot)

I thought the bright yellow fence top in Alan's image detracted from the primary subject, so I pulled the image into Photoshop, duplicated the layer and desaturated the duplicate, then used a layer mask to blend the desaturated fence top back in with the original layer.  I also added a bit of selective sharpening to Alan's son's face while I had the image open in Photoshop.  (Oh, and I assigned a color space, which might account for a slight difference in color rendering if you are viewing the image in a color-smart browser like Safari.)

\
My Son
"You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes." ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot), slight desaturation and sharpening by Keith

Thank you again to everyone that participated in this assignment.  I had a tough time getting inspired at the beginning of this assignment, and your images and words helped tremendously.

Keith

P.S.
The family and I are "on the road" until the end of the July, and so I won't be able to spend quite as much time on the website as normal.  I hope you all continue to participate and to encourage each other to improve your photography.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:51:56 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Thanks everyone, for voting for 'Potter's Hands'.  I had a pretty strong visual of what I wanted in my brain so I talked to Larry Matson (the artist), and moved his stuff all around, spilled buckets of water on his floor, and pretty much trashed his place to get the camera where I wanted it, with light and an angle to catch a hint of motion. The end image doesn't match what I imagined, but they rarely do.  The real world has some pesky rules of physics that don't apply so much to our imagination.  But I'm happy with it, and proud that it met your acceptance.
That bit of white t-shirt sleeve in the background bugs me. It was darkened a bit for the print version.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

girod

Thank you Keith and everyone for the beautiful and very inspiring feedbacks.........really appreciate it very much......makes me going so much happier.

Since I started photography with the D700, I've been processing my NEF (Nikon's raw) files in my 2-year old 15" HP laptop using exclusively Nikon's CNX2. Two weeks ago, my co-worker built me a PC - intel i7 930 overclocked to 3.2 ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM, ATI R5850 1GB graphic card, both Windows 7 64-bit and Linux Ubuntu operating systems...and a 27" wide gamut HD HP monitor (2709m, 1920x1080, 60Hz)........of course, it goes without saying - I'm overwhelmed.....I went over my head!

So, Keith and all members of this community, in the coming days I will need lots of help in Color Management, developing and postprocessing NEF files. Right now, I intend to stay with CNX2 and then maybe later, learn Photoshop CS5.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Hi Jaime,

Congratulations on your new machine.  You will really enjoy the faster processing speed and the wide gamut monitor.  You are right to suspect that the addition of a wide gamut monitor to your workflow will necessitate a re-look at your color management practices, especially concerning the color calibration of your wide gamut monitor.  

If you don't already have one, I would strongly recommend that you purchase (or borrow) a hardware color calibrator capable of calibrating a wide gamut monitor. The one I use is the Xrite Colormunki Photo.  The Colormunki is a little more expensive than some of the other options, but that is because it is a spectrophotometer instead of the cheaper colorimeter.  Many of the other (colorimeter based) calibrators on the market are not designed to calibrate wide gamut monitors, and you may have issues with accuracy.  Although the retail price of the Colormunki is $500, I managed to find one on sale for less than $300 after rebate.  

Also, if you haven't been using a color managed browser (like Safari), you will now find that to be a necessity, otherwise all of the images you view online will appear over-saturated and garish.

I'm sure other folks will have tips for working with wide gamut monitors over the coming days.

Congratulations on the new machine!

Keith

Chris

That bit of white t-shirt sleeve in the background bugs me. It was darkened a bit for the print version.
Dave, I never noticed the sleeve. I was too busy thinking how perfect the clay is.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Dave, I never noticed the sleeve. I was too busy thinking how perfect the clay is.

Same here.  I never noticed the sleeve until Dave mentioned it, and then I had to look to see what he was talking about.  It was instructional to read the process Dave used to set up the photo.  Information like that helps other photographers begin to understand the answer to that often asked question of "why don't my pictures ever look like that?"

Thanks for being such an inspirational mentor Dave!

Keith

Chris

My pictures have greatly improved over the last few months. Mostly due to seeing and reading things posted by Dave and others. I still get a lot of garbage for every good one but the good ones are much better than before. I've started thinking about the pictures before I take them a lot more often than I used to. I'm still pretty click happy though. :) There is also a lot of trial and error when I venture off auto mode.