Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Seasons" Assignment  (Read 2305 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Seasons" Assignment
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:35:03 AM »
Thank you to everyone that submitted images for the "Seasons" assignment.  This was another great week for participation in the assignment, with quite a few beautiful images submitted. 

The guidelines for this assignment were to "compose an image that portrays a change in the seasons."  Note that some of the most powerful images were the ones that didn't try to include too much in the scene, and instead isolated the composition to a few elements that best represented the concept of "seasons."  It is often the simplest images that are the most effective at conveying a concept. 

I noticed when reviewing the images that several of them were posted in the Adobe RGB color space.  Unfortunately, most browsers are not “color space aware” so this results in an Adobe RGB image looking “flat” or dull.  I converted Sue’s Fall Foliage image and Rick’s Yellow Aspen Leaves image to sRGB and reposted the images in this thread so you could see the difference.  I couldn’t resist making a few other changes while I had the images open in Photoshop.  :)  I thought Sue’s “Fall Foliage” image was still a bit too warm (the green leaves and mountain looked unnaturally warm) and so I used a curves adjustment in Photoshop to cool the image down a bit.  Given more time, I would have used layers and masks in Photoshop to lighten the foliage a bit more and add more mid-tone contrast.

Fall Foliage

Fall Foliage, converted to sRGB

While I had Rick’s “Yellow Aspen Leaves” image open in Photoshop, I lightened the shadows a little bit to add more yellow and enhance the sense that this small group of leaves was part of a much larger aspen grove. This was definitely an “artistic” decision, meaning that the image could have been processed either way.  (Doing this type of processing with the raw file would have resulted in better color and less noise in the background yellows.)  I also sharpened the image just a bit in order to retain the definition between the foreground leaves and the background.

Yellow Aspen Leaves

Yellow Aspen Leaves (lighten shadows, sRGB, sharpen)

I also thought the Colorado Fall Foliage and Colorado Fall Color images could be improved with slightly tighter cropping

Colorado Fall Foliage

Colorado Fall Foliage (Cropped)

Colorado Fall Color

Colorado Fall Color (cropped)

While I was at it, I used Photoshop’s “Shadows and Highlights” tool to lighten Lar's beautiful Stockholm Sweden image to enhance the colors of the leaves.  I also added just a touch of sharpening.  (These changes would have resulted in better quality if performed on the raw file instead of a small JPEG.)

Stockholm Sweden

Stockholm Sweden (lightened and sharpened)

I liked the composition of Rick’s Yellow Aspen Grove image, but felt that it was too saturated, so that the skies look unnatural.  Unfortunately, it’s very difficult to “desaturate” the image unless you have a raw file to work with.  I also thought the composition would have been stronger if the tops of the three trees in the foreground would have been included.  (The way the tops are cut off leads me to suspect that Rick might have hand held this image.  One of the advantages of using a tripod is that it helps you to see and correct for these minor composition errors before taking the picture.)  This image had a lot of potential, and if the tops of the trees had been included, and the sky more natural looking, it would have been one of my favorites.

Yellow Aspen Grove

I thought Tom’s image of Maroon Creek was a great picture of the creek; however, the beautiful fall foliage and majestic Maroon Peaks have been "minimized" by the use of a wide angle lens.

Maroon Creek

Congratulations to Tom (Kermit) whose Crystal Mill at Sunset image won the vote for People’s Choice.  As several people mentioned in the gallery comments, the processing on this image made it look like the paintings of several well known artists whose styles enhance the warm, saturated light in a scene.  (Thomas Kincaid comes to mind for me.)

Crystal Mill at Sunset

I’ve awarded Editor’s Choice for Artistic Merit to Becky Jenner’s Loner image of the maple leaf.  I thought this simple but powerful image was very successful at evoking a sense of a change in the seasons. 

Loner

Honorable Mention goes to Becky’s Rustic Ride image.  This was another image that was very successful at evoking a sense of change in the seasons.  I could almost feel the chill of the autumn breeze as I viewed the pumpkins.

Rustic Ride

Thank you again to everyone that submitted images for the "Seasons" assignment.  Great job by all!

P.S.
You are also invited to add your comments on these images to this thread.  If you are the originator, you can add more detail about the image, or if you have a comment or question on someone else's image, please feel free to post a reply to this thread.

Lars

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Seasons" Assignment
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:04:34 AM »
First congratulations to Becky.   :)
Loner was my favorite

Keith
I have just installed a plugins for raw in ps2
wiich i will start using.ahead.  :-[

Lars

Becky Jenner

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:40:47 AM »
Thanks to all for the nice comments and a special thanks to Keith & Lars :)
Becky

Kermit

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:52:02 PM »
Keith,

I really liked the changes you made to Rick's “Yellow Aspen Leaves”!  It made quite a difference and really made the subject leaves standout.  I am amazed you could do that much with a jpeg, especially in sRGB.  I sure have a lot to learn about that.  I seem to really struggle getting images to look nice in sRGB.  I was quite disappointed to see the mill image after I converted it to sRGB, because the colors were so rich in RGB.  I would be happy to work with you if you want to develop an article on the process. 

Tom

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »
It's great to see comments posted to the "assignments" thread.  I like to see discussion on the images.

Rebecca, Evan, McKenzie and I just returned from a 2-week trip during which we visited eleven National Parks (and Monuments) en route from Colorado to a friend's wedding in Las Vegas and back again.  I REALLY wanted to post an article on our adventure; however, we didn't have access to the internet in most of the locations, and we were very busy trying to photograph all the beautiful scenery.  We're home in Colorado for one day, and then we leave again to go to Kansas for three weeks (to work on a remodeling project on our house in Wichita). 

It's hard to pick a favorite location from our recent journey.  We visited Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Canyon of the Ancients, Hovenweep, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce, and Capitol Reef National Parks, as well as spending two days in Las Vegas.  We had several adventurous and very memorable hikes along the way, and managed to photograph over 1,000 images   :)  (I still have about 500 images that I haven't downloaded from the camera yet.)  If I have time while we're in Wichita I will try to post some images from the trip, and maybe get started on an article about our experiences. 

Thanks again to everyone for participating in the "seasons" assignment.  I'm looking forward to seeing your images for "The Essence" assignment.   :)

Keith
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:42:59 AM by keithsnell »