Author Topic: Hello every one. Here is a little bit of myself--Chen W.  (Read 1569 times)

Chen Wang

• NANPA
    • Welcome to Chen's Photo World
Hello every one. Here is a little bit of myself--Chen W.
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
Through the years, I have learned some photography knowledge from my father even though he didn’t intend to teach me. I didn’t think about getting into the photography career until my last year in high school. At that time, my teacher in one of my classes was entering a statewide photography competition for the school. Even though my teacher has never seen my photography, I was picked for the competition because she knew I was a good student in the class. With the excitement and pressure, I entered the competition but didn’t win. However, because of that event, I fell in love with photography and decided to be a photographer. In that same year, my father finally approved my decision and willingly taught me his photography knowledge. For that Christmas, my mother also bought me my first digital camera.

Few years later, with my father’s teaching, I was able to win many competitions at the community college I attended. Later I became the school’s historian. In 2007, with many universities to choose from, I decided to transfer to University of Florida, and needless to say, my major was Photojournalism.

The saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words,” is especially true in the photojournalism world. But the ironic thing is that sometimes taking a thousand-word picture is just as hard as describing it with a thousand words. At the university, I have really learned how to face my assignments in high-pressure environments, find joy in the difficult situations, and conquer the fear of communicating with other people. Before I had any photojournalism education, I thought photography was all about taking pictures of beautiful landscapes, yet I’ve learned that photography is not only about pretty pictures; it is also a visual voice for those who can’t speak out. In my heart, I’ve always wanted to stand up for the weak but was afraid of public speaking, and I like art but don’t have the patience to sit all day painting pictures. Therefore, there are no other fields better for me than photography. It has given me the joy of seeing God’s creation and taught me to speak out for others in a unique way.

My ultimate dream used to be a National Geographic photographer because I can travel the world and get paid to do what I love to do, not to mention their benefits. It is still my dream but in a much smaller scale of my life now. I realized that what I do is not because the money or fame but to fulfill the need of the society. I am not afraid of being rejected from National Geographic, nor not making enough money to support my living. What I am really afraid of is not being able to fulfill my role in the society. I don’t know what my future is going to be like. I will let God decide. But there is one thing for sure that won’t change in my life—I love people and nature, and I will use my photography to tell you about them.  :)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Hello every one. Here is a little bit of myself--Chen W.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »
Hi Chen,

Thank you for sharing a little about yourself.  I think you will find the NANPA Summit a very rewarding experience.  You will have an opportunity to meet many people that share your passion for photography, and the passion for using photography to change the world for the better. 

I look forward to meeting you in person.

Keith

Cindy Miller Hopkins

Re: Hello every one. Here is a little bit of myself--Chen W.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
Hello Chen - Thanks for your story. I too had a dream to travel and shoot images all over the world. Seven years ago I went to my first NANPA summit meeting for the portfolio reviews ... that's where I met my now agent, Danita. I have been selling my images ever since. Two years ago I started getting travel assignment work and have since taken 10 US/International assignments. I still can't believe that I get to do what I do! It's a LOT of hard work, but I love traveling and learning about other countries and people. NEVER give up your dreams as there is always a market for images made by people who are passionate about their craft and about LIFE. Hope to meet you in person at NANPA in a few weeks. Sincerely, Cindy