Author Topic: Voting for the "Expanded Perspective" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 3336 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Please vote for up to three of your favorite images from the "Expanded Perspective" assignment for the "People's Choice" award.  You can select one, two, or three separate images to vote on.  To vote for your favorite images, please select the check boxes associated with those images in the poll attached at the top of this thread, and click "submit vote."  If you change your mind after your initial vote, you can select the "remove vote" option and resubmit your vote.  NOTE:  You need to be logged in to see the voting options.  Voting will end at midnight, Mountain Time (GMT-07:00) on Sunday, 8 May 2011.

Guidelines for this assignment were to produce an image with an expanded perspective.  (The perception of greater distance between foreground and middle or distant objects.)  The assignment description recommended using a wide angle lens and getting down lower than "standing height" so that you are relatively close to your foreground elements.  Getting closer to your foreground elements will enable you to exaggerate the perceived size difference between foreground and background objects, and thereby exaggerate the perceived distance to produce an "expanded perspective."

Reflected mallow

Metro line

Branching perspectives

Winding path

princess in waiting

dare we touch the dynosaur?

walking away!

Is that a fish eye lens?

Burn

Wasps 'n Smoke
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:30:17 AM by keithsnell »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Marilyn,

How close do you think you were to the Mallow in your Reflected Mallow image?  

I ask because this image does a nice job of exaggerating or expanding the perspective, and I'd like to help give viewers a sense for how close they need to get to the foreground elements in order to successfully exaggerate the perspective.  

Thanks!

Keith

marilyn

Keith~I think I was between 18-24 inches. I was amazed at how close I had to get (in addition to being so low to the ground) for all of the shots I did with Clay's lens (EFS 10-22mm).

keithsnell

• Administrator
Keith~I think I was between 18-24 inches. I was amazed at how close I had to get (in addition to being so low to the ground) for all of the shots I did with Clay's lens (EFS 10-22mm).

Thanks Marilyn.  I've found that people have to consciously force themselves to get closer than they normally would in order to get shots that really emphasize the foreground and create an expanded perspective.

I've been dreaming about getting a decent ultra-wide angle lens for years now...

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
Don't forget to vote!