Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "One World" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1642 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "One World" weekly photography assignment.  I was "on the road" for three weeks, so it was a great relief to have Rebecca host the weekly assignment for me while I was gone.  I thought this was a great topic.  If anyone else would like to volunteer to be our "host" for one of the weekly assignments, just let me know!

The guidelines for this assignment were to "use your photographic eye to capture something in your town or area that shows how another area of the world has influenced your town."

I really enjoyed Dave's image of A Colorful World.  This image had a definite "mood" to the composition that conveyed the subjects' sense of exhilaration at doing something a bit crazy.  The snowflakes in the foreground definitely helped set the stage and describe the scene (Cold!).  The smile of the "blue man" jumping into the lake was infectious, and made me smile as well.

A Colorful World
Photographed by Dave Leiker

I agree with the other comments that the icicles on the hands in Rebecca's La Cathedrale image made this a much more powerful image than what it might otherwise have been.  Although maybe not the artist's intention, to me the scene conveyed the idea that sometimes another's hand is needed to help us through difficult times.  Although this is a powerful image, it might have been even more powerful if the sculpture could have been isolated more from the background.  I do find the background to be a little distracting from the primary subject.  One technique for further isolating the subject in a similar situation would be to step further away from the sculpture and use a longer focal length lens.  This has the effect of narrowing the field of view and only including a narrow slice of the scene in the background, and allows the photographer to slightly shift their position to include only the most unobtrusive parts of the scene in the background.  It also allows the photographer to "isolate" the subject against a softer out of focus background, thus further concentrating the viewer's attention on the primary subject.  Of course it is easier to talk about these possibilities now than it would have been to change to a longer focal length lens in sub-freezing temperatures.  :)

La Cathedrale
Photographed by Rebecca

I thought Marilyn's Tiling the World image was the most effective at meeting the guidelines of the assignment to "use your photographic eye to capture something in your town or area that shows how another area of the world has influenced your town."  I enjoyed reading about how this image symbolizes a neighborhood comprised of many cultures and ethnicities that came together as a community.  Thank you Marilyn for sharing this story, and congratulations for having this image selected as "People's Choice" for the assignment.

Tiling the world
People's Choice
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment.  

Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:53:12 AM by keithsnell »

marilyn

I appreciate the vote everyone, but mostly I hope that the photo helped to show a part of Las Vegas that many people are unaware of.  ~marilyn

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
It definitely showed the 'human' part of Las Vegas.  With all the hype, glitz, and advertising, it is easy to forget that actual warm hearted humans live in Vegas too!  Thanks for sharing that side with us!