Author Topic: G'Day from Melbourne  (Read 2858 times)

NigelDownUnder

G'Day from Melbourne
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:26:19 AM »
G'Day, what a great site Becky & Keith! Well done.. I'm interested to learn how to better my skills in taking action shots in different conditions. Considering that I'm now into Jet Skiing, see pics.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:30:58 AM by NigelDownUnder »

NigelDownUnder

Re: G'Day from Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:59:14 AM »
Ok so now for some shots of Melbourne, Australia from Port Philip Bay...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:05:20 AM by NigelDownUnder »

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:00:21 AM »
mmm 2 pics per post

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:01:08 AM »
more....ok spot the seal in the second shot...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:06:28 AM by NigelDownUnder »

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:01:54 AM »
& more..

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
Hi Nigel,

Thank you for sharing your images.  Your jet ski outings look like lots of fun.

What type of camera are you using?  Maybe when we return home from our current trip, I can take the time to write a quicky article on techniques and camera settings for taking action shots.  Please feel free to ask questions in the forums, and we will try to help out where we can.   

By the way, there is a way to post multiple images in a post; however, you have to post them in the gallery first, and then "link" to them in the post.  This also enables you to freely mix text and images to "tell a story."  I explain how to do this in the Frequently Asked Questions section in the forum, but if you have any questions or need additional explanations please feel free to ask.  (It works ok to post multiple times too, if you prefer that way.) 

Hope to see more images (and questions) from you soon.

Keith

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 04:11:58 AM »
Thanks Keith, I'm using a Sony DSC-P200. Looking to upgrade to something that's waterproof, any suggestions?

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 05:42:07 PM »
Nigel,

I wish I could recommend a GREAT waterproof camera, however a little sleuthing online hasn't turned up anything with really great reviews.  Both Pentax and Olympus make "waterproof" cameras that are designed for limited depths underwater.  Since I assume you will primarily be using the camera on your jet ski adventures, I think they would be rated to a sufficient depth.  (Hopefully you won't be taking the jet ski too deep.   :) )

Unfortunately, there were a LOT of user reviews for both cameras that complained of the cameras being ruined after a shallow dunk in the water.  The Olympus seemed to have the worst track record, so I would probably stay away from Olympus.  In addition, one review I read noted that the Olympus (1030 SW) was metal and would sink, whereas the Pentax (Optio W60) was lighter and would actually float.  So if you were to accidentally drop the camera in the water, I would think the Pentax would fare much better. The only advantage the Olympus had over the Pentax was that it was rated for deeper submersion.  (33 feet for the Olympus vs 13 feet for the Pentax.)  Given all the complaints about the Olympus being ruined after a shallow dunk, I wouldn't trust it down to 33 feet anyway. 

You can read a short description of the Pentax here:  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W60/W60A.HTM

And of the Olympus here:  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/OS1030SW/OS1030SWA.HTM

Another option available is one of the "ruggedized" cameras designed more for industrial use.  Ricoh makes the G600 and Fuji makes the "Big Job."  These are specialized cameras designed for use on a construction site or other harsh environment.  Of the two, I'd probably consider the Fuji before the Ricoh.  Although I think either camera is bigger and bulkier than what you would be looking for.  You can read about the Fuji here:  http://www.dpreview.com/news/0706/07062001fujibigjob.asp

Finally, Canon makes some fairly decent waterproof cases available for some of their cameras.  The cases will cost about $200 USD, and then there's the price of the camera. 

Given all that, I think my recommendation among what is available on the market today would be for the Pentax Optio W60.

Hope this helps,

Keith

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:23:05 PM »
Hi Nigel,
Not sure how good of a camera it is, but I came across an advertisement for a Sealife ECOshot camera that looks fairly good.   I'll put a link to reviews from Amazon - noone complained of it not being waterproof.  Does sound like it has image quality issues when you zoom - bummer.  But, you might want to check it out .  Good price.

First, here's the link to the sea-life site:
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/ecoshot.html

Here's the link to the Amazon reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000OFXU4Y?showViewpoints=1

Let us know what camera you eventually get and how you like it.  I'm sure others on the forum may be interested too.

G'day!
Becky