Author Topic: Results and feedback for the "Legends" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2801 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were simply to compose an image that conveys a story about a character from legend, or a story about a historical legend from your geographic area.

Michele's image of The Battle of Morgarten was a very strong composition.  I like the way she used the leading "s-curve" of the path to provide depth and lead the viewer into the scene.  The bare tree beside the monument, the gray sky and the overcast lighting all helped to establish the mood of this image.  This was a very well composed image that helped tell a fascinating legend.

The Battle of Morgarten
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Dave's Legends of the West image was one of those politically charged images that can be very thought provoking, causing the viewer to question their beliefs about how a particular segment of society is portrayed.  I suspect that in the store this figure just blends into all the kitsch, and very few stop to think about the message it is conveying.  Isolating the figure in an image like this helps us to focus the viewers attention, and can be used to help them notice and think about a subject that they would otherwise not stop to consider. Great job exercising your photography skills to help bring our attention to this thought provoking representation Dave.

Legends of the West
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairedust)

Jaime's One Legend of Superheroes image was fun image, with appropriately balanced flash and ambient exposure.  One of the things I'd like to talk about in a future assignment is the use of "slow sync" flash, so keep this image in mind as we get to that assignment.

One Legend of Superheroes
Photographed by Jaime Dorotan (girod)

Chris' Jason image was nicely exposed with nice soft light, but perhaps could have had a more effective crop, leaving more "breathing room" at the top of Jason's head, and eliminating the distracting plaid shirt in the background.

Jason
Photographed by Chris Franklin

Chris' Vader image is similar (nice light and exposure), and could probably have benefited from shifting camera positions to eliminate the background distractions.  I suspect this was probably a "grab shot" and that the kids were moving fast, but it's a great opportunity to "think fast" and quickly move camera positions to try to eliminate the distractions and arrange the subject within the frame.  Opportunities like this are fun chances to practice our craft.

Vader
Photographed by Chris Franklin

I really like Michele's image of The "Swiss Weather Prophets".  It's a bit of a Rorschach test, in that it allows the viewer to interpret the image in a myriad of ways, and project their own mood and feelings into the image.  It's a dreamy image that invites the viewer to imagine that they are sitting in a quiet room, listening to the patter of the rain on the window pane, slightly melancholy but fondly dreaming of another place and time.  One of the fascinating things about art is how it can be relevant to so many different viewers and be interpreted in so many different ways.  Because this image is so effective at provoking introspection by the viewer, I've awarded it Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

The "Swiss Weather Prophets"
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Knowing how challenging the shooting conditions were, I can say that Rebecca did an awesome job with her SR71 Blackbird image.  Given my background, I enjoyed hearing her relay the stories told by Buz Carpenter, who was an integral part of that legend.  Rebecca did a great job with the compilation image, adding human interest to the "static" aircraft display.

SR71 Blackbird
Photographed by Rebecca

Marilyn's The Legend of the Bow Lady image was a wonderful tribute to someone that sounds like she was an amazing person.  I loved the composite frame around the portrait, and think Marilyn did an awesome job conveying the spirit of Marjorie, the Bow Lady.  I'm going to resort to an old trick and "trade in" my "Editor's Choice for Technical Merit" for a second Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  Wonderful job composing this image Marilyn!

The Legend of the Bow Lady
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:03:38 PM by keithsnell »

marilyn

Re: Results and feedback for the "Legends" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for your votes -- and for the artistic merit one too, Keith.  More than anything this is a tribute to the life of a truly legendary woman!

Michele, I loved your photo as well - and the opportunities for viewers to bring their own interpretations and perspectives.  Very creative!!

Michele

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »
Hi everyone.  Thank you, Keith.  Very cool that you liked the photo.  I'm writing to say sorry I have not been on much commenting on the photos that have come in.  I am just a little overloaded right now.  I am soooooo glad that the next assignment is extended to two weeks!

Michèle

Michele

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
P.S.  Marilyn, I love that photo.  It's amazing how the extra touches added to the personality of the portrait.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »
Hi everyone.  Thank you, Keith.  Very cool that you liked the photo.  I'm writing to say sorry I have not been on much commenting on the photos that have come in.  I am just a little overloaded right now.  I am soooooo glad that the next assignment is extended to two weeks!

Michèle

Hi Michele,

I certainly understand the "overloaded" part.  I became a photographer so that I could spend more time outside, yet is seems like I spend way too much time on the computer!  It probably won't slow down for me until next year...

Thank you for the feedback on the two week assignment.  I'll probably continue to do a mix of one and two week assignments in the future.

Keith

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »
Congratulations to both of you - and thanks for the great images and continual source of inspiration. That's a beautiful portrait of the bow lady. She must have been a joy to be around.  And Michele is always rich in her interpretations of the themes. Great work.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:38:35 PM by prairiedust »
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest