Author Topic: "Same Place, Different Time," Photography Assignment for 15 - 29 November 2010  (Read 2303 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
This is another assignment that might require a little more time to complete, so I'm extending it to a little over two weeks.  (The assignment will end on Monday night (two weeks from now) instead of our typical Sunday night.)

The topic is "Same Place, Different Time."  The purpose of this assignment is to help us break free from the notion that we are photographing objects.  How we think about what we are photographing tends to influence (and limit) our ability to produce creative images.  I've said in the past that we aren't really photographing objects, but are recording the light reflected off those objects.  Thinking about our images from that perspective certainly helps us understand that the same object can look strikingly different under different quality of light.  But there is more to it than that.  There is also a temporal element to our photography.  Our images record our subject at a specific moment in time, and when we chose to photograph our subject will have a dramatic impact on the images we produce.  One of the differences between a "point and shoot" photographer and a creative artist is that the point-and-shooter photographs his or her subject when the opportunity presents itself, while the creative artist visualizes how that subject will look under specific lighting conditions at a particular time of day or year, and consciously sets out to create the image they have visualized.

The goal of this "Same Place, Different Time" assignment is to help make us more conscious of how differences in when we photograph a subject can have a dramatic impact on the creative outcome.  For this assignment I'd like you to submit three image of the same place (or subject) taken at different times.  Your goal is to produce three creatively different representations of the subject, taken from the same position and perspective, and only varying by time (and lighting conditions).  You can upload three separate images into the gallery, or combine them into a triptych, whichever you prefer.  Please upload your images to the "Same Place, Different Time" album no-later-than Monday, 29 November 2010.

I'll look forward to seeing your images.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:53:17 PM by keithsnell »