Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Fleeting Moments" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1656 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image that captures and conveys what is special about a particular moment in time.  Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment, it was another assignment where I had a very difficult time picking a favorite.  My pick could have easily swung in three directions depending on the image that struck me most at that particular moment in time.  

Congratulations to Jaime Dorotan whose image titled Four Miracles a  Second tied for the the People's Choice vote.  Jaime did a wonderful job capturing a very special moment, and the emotion is very tangible in this image.  My own similar experiences definitely qualify as one of the most emotional experiences of my life, with events flying by at an almost incomprehensible speed.  I wish that I had done as well capturing images of the birth of our two children.  Excellent job setting the exposure and effectively capturing the moment in this very well composed image Jaime.  

Four Miracles A Second....
Tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Jaime Dorotan

Amazing job capturing the moment in your Favorite shot of the day image Michele.  Effectively capturing this image obviously required a very fast shutter speed and spot-on autofocus.  Good job adjusting the other parameters (ISO and aperture) to give you the shutter speed you needed.  Very well executed, with exquisite timing and excellent framing.

My favorite shot of the day
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Rick's image of Moody's Pond brought back memories of similar tranquil and magical moments where I have been at peace with my world, and struck a chord deep within me.  What made this image so successful was the exposure that effectively captured the vibrant early morning sunlight, and the depth of the composition that managed to draw the viewer deep into the scene.  Rick very effectively framed the scene, included near, middle and far elements to provide depth, and used light and contrast to draw the viewers eye into and through the scene.  This was a challenging high contrast scene with a very wide range of lighting that could have easily thrown off an exposure that relied on automatic metering.  Great job using spot metering and manual exposure to arrive at an overall exposure that was appropriate for the highlights, mid tones and shadow areas of this scene, and effectively conveyed the light of an early morning scene.  Rick did an outstanding job capturing this challenging exposure, and I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

Moody's Pond
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Rick Pepin (trvlrick)

I liked Dave's Alert in the Woods image, but was struck by his Studying Each Other image, with those riveting eyes that captured and held my attention, and brought back memories of similar moments where my heart skipped a beat as I "connected" just for a fleeting moment with a wild creature.  

Alert in the Woods
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Dave's Studying Each Other image had an emotional impact that transcended the technical aspects, which were perfectly executed for this challenging low-light scene,  Dave shot this image "wide open" at an aperture of f2.8 and ISO of 800.  This allowed him to achieve a shutter speed of 1/125th of a second, which was fast enough to obtain a sharp capture while the subject was still.  These settings were a perfect compromise for this low-light situation, and indicate that Dave knows his equipment and its capabilities well.  Outstanding capture of a fleeting moment Dave.  In addition to being selected as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit this image tied for People's Choice.

Studying Each Other
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit and tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Rebecca's image of Sticker Heaven was another image that provoked a smile.  Images like this will become even more precious as the years pass by and our children grow up.  I think its wonderful that Rebecca takes the time to capture these special moments.

Sticker heaven
Photographed by Rebecca

Marilyn did a great job capturing the exposure for her Fleeting Moment at the Bellagio Fountains image.  The touch of fill flash was just enough to provide a bit of light on Elvis, without overpowering the light from the fountains or the ambiance of the nighttime scene.  Great job Marilyn.  

A fleeting moment at the Bellagio fountains
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Michele's Marco kicks butt! image was another very well executed image, with excellent selection of exposure parameters (required for a very high shutter speed to stop the action), spot-on AF, great timing and excellent framing.  Great job Michele!

Marco kicks butt!
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Chris' Struck image was a wonderful reminder that it is all of those mundane moments that can become part of our rich life experiences if only we take the time to notice.  Great eye to "see" this image and recognize its uniqueness Chris.

Stuck
Photographed by Chris Franklin

Thank you again to everyone that participated in this assignment, I loved sharing your "Fleeting Moments."

Keith
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:59:33 PM by keithsnell »

girod

Thanks everyone, very much.