Author Topic: "Telling a Story," Weekly Photography Assignment for 9 - 15 November 2009  (Read 1765 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Photography is a means of visual communication.  When we communicate, we exchange information, or convey feeling or thought.   In photography, “exchanging information” most often equates to “telling a story.”  You’ve heard the expression “a picture is worth a thousand words.”  Well, sometimes.  The images that are “worth a thousand words” are the Pulitzer Prize winners that tell a compelling story.    It takes practice to learn to communicate effectively with our photography.   Some of us are good communicators using the written or spoken word, but we don’t often think to translate these skills to our photography.  

In speaking or writing, the most basic story requires at least a “simple sentence” to convey a complete thought about a subject.  A simple sentence requires both a subject and a verb.  The verb can be an action verb, i.e., the act of doing something, (run, walk, etc.) or it can be a “state of being” such as “is, are, was” etc.    State of being verbs are often called “linking verbs” because they link the subject of the sentence with information about it.   Linking verbs are often followed by an adjective that describes the “state of being” of the subject.  For example, the flower is beautiful/fragile/fragrant/dead, etc.

When you photograph, it is often useful to consciously think about what “story” you are trying to tell.  In order to tell a story, you need to have both a subject and a verb.    Usually the “subject” of your story is self evident (unless your composition is too busy, and then the viewer might not be able to recognize the primary subject).  The verb is often more challenging, and it is the great photographers that can bring all of their skills to bear to represent an action or “state of being” in their images.  

Are we trying to describe a flowing stream?  Then make it flow by using a slow shutter speed to show the blurred motion of the water.  Compose your image to use “S” curves or diagonals to emphasize the dynamic motion of the water.  Show the rounded shapes of the water flowing around rocks in the stream.  Think of the adjectives that come to mind when you are describing the scene.  Is it “lush”?  Then ensure your composition, exposure, focus and white balance emphasize the greenery alongside the river or stream.  

Autumn Stream

A strong image will clearly communicate both the subject and the verb.  If the verb is a “state of being,” then make a conscious effort to understand the adjectives that describe this state, and use all the skills at your disposal to emphasize these attributes.  Use light, color, contrast, shape, form and texture in your image to emphasize a particular feeling and convey the emotion you want your viewer to feel when viewing your image.   Control the viewer’s journey through your scene by using leading lines and leading light to progressively move them further into the scene as you tell your story.

One of the simplest and most effective techniques for improving your ability to communicate with your images is to “caption” your images in your mind before you actually take the picture.  Knowing how you intend to caption the image will help you to compose the scene to emphasize what you are trying to convey.  

The assignment for the week of 9 – 15 November 2009 is “Telling a Story.”  When you upload your image to the gallery, please annotate the image title with a caption that includes a subject and verb or “state of being” described with an adjective. :)

Please upload your images to the “Telling a Story” album in the Weekly Assignments category of the Gallery no-later-than midnight, Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 15 November 2009.

I’ll look forward to seeing your images!

Keith
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:18:55 PM by keithsnell »

burzilai

Re: "Telling a Story," Weekly Photography Assignment for 9 - 15 November 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »
Hi Keith,
 I tried to  upload some pics for Telling a Story assignment but I couldn't find the folder "Telling a Story" at the drop down menu..or I just didn't see it .... I wasn't able to select an album.
Shee :)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: "Telling a Story," Weekly Photography Assignment for 9 - 15 November 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 07:56:13 AM »
Hi Sheila,

I was "pre-announcing" the assignment for 9 - 15 November, with the intention of "opening" the submissions on the 9th.  The Album should be accessible now.  Please let me know if you have any problems accessing it now.

By the way, Rebecca showed me your wedding slide show.  Awesome job!

Keith