Author Topic: "Wind," Weekly Photography Assignment for 9 - 15 February 2009  (Read 1540 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
"Wind," Weekly Photography Assignment for 9 - 15 February 2009
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:11:48 PM »

Wind and Wildflowers

Those of you that live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains will understand why I chose this topic this morning. :)  The wind is roaring down of the mountains, with gusts strong enough to shake a glass of water sitting on the dining room table. 

Your images for this week's assignment should convey "wind."  One way to do this is to capture the motion induced by the wind, as in the Wind and Wildflowers image above.  I took this image last spring when our efforts to photograph wildflowers in the Hill Country of Texas were plagued by the constant wind.  I tried to make the best of the situation by capturing the motion of the wind in the wildflowers.  I needed a slow shutter speed in order to record the motion blur, and so stopped down the aperture to f22 to get a shutter speed of 1/10th of a second.

I'm sure many of us have seen such pictures before, and I can assure you that capturing a successful image of "wind" will challenge your photography and composition skills.  You need to be able to visualize the image you want to compose, guage how much the wind is moving your subject, and chose an appropriate shutter speed to capture just the right amount of blur, while attempting to arrange the blurred shapes in your image to provide a pleasing composition of shapes and colors.

Pleas upload your images into the "Wind" album under the Weekly Assignment category in the Gallery no-later-than midnight (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 15 February 2009.

I'll look forward to seeing your images.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:31:52 PM by keithsnell »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: "Wind," Weekly Photography Assignment for 9 - 15 February 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 03:43:06 PM »
Rick called and let me know that although he could see the "Wind" album, he was unable to upload images in the album.  It turns out this was a "permissions" problem.  The albums "default" to letting only the album originator upload images, and I have to remember each week to change the permissions to allow everyone to upload images.  This week I forgot to change the permissions.  Thanks Rick for giving me a call!

The "Wind" album is fixed now and everyone can upload images.

If you ever see a problem with the assignments, please don't hesitate to give me a call or send me an email and let me know.

Thanks again Rick!

Keith