Author Topic: Thoughts on the Canon EOS 450D for first time SLR user  (Read 3284 times)

NigelDownUnder

Thoughts on the Canon EOS 450D for first time SLR user
« on: June 18, 2009, 04:31:42 AM »
I'm entering the world of SLR for the first time having used compact digital cameras for the past 9 years.
After comparing Canon, Sony & Nikon it has come down to the Canon 450D (although the Canon 500D is a close second however I cannot justify the price difference to get HD movie as an extra feature).
The reasons being:
1. Light weight at 475g v 582g v 560g
2. Large lcd viewer 3" v 2.7" v 2.7"
3. Drive mode 3.5 fps v 3 v 4
4, Dimensions(H x W x D) 128.8 x 97.5 x 61.9 v 130.8 x 98.5 x 74.7 v 104 x 127 x 80

Happy to hear others opinions please post away..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:34:12 AM by NigelDownUnder »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Thoughts on the Canon EOS 450D for first time SLR user
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »
Nigel,

Your rationale makes sense.  Two additional features with the 500D that might make a difference are the higher ISO capability and the capability for "highlight tone priority" (helps protect the highlights from "blowing out" in high contrast situations).  

That said, I think you were right in assessing that the 450D will give you much of the performance of the 500D at 2/3 the cost.  It sounds like weight and size are a priority for you, so the 450D makes sense.

I would definitely recommend an extended "hands-on" comparison of the 450D and Nikon D5000 in a camera store before you make your final decision.  Pay attention to how intuitive the autofocus works, and how easy it is to adjust the shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation.  Each time I have been tempted (by the new specs and marketing) to switch from Nikon to Canon, I have spent an extended period of time comparing the "handling" of the Nikons and Canons, and have always come back to the Nikon as the more "intuitive" of the two.  

To a certain extent, using a camera should be like playing a musical instrument.  When you first begin playing a musical instrument, you look at the sheet of music, read a quarter note "C", think about how to place your fingers and the length of time required to hold the note, concentrate on finger placement and then "play" the note, and then move on to the next note on the page.  As you become more proficient at playing that musical instrument, you transition to a state where you anticipate the note and your fingers automatically perform the actions to play it, without consciously thinking about all the intervening steps.  A well designed musical instrument facilitates the transition to this "fluid," intuitive state, and effectively becomes an extension of your body.  A well designed camera body does the same (as does a well designed automobile, etc.).  I very rarely, if ever, consciously think about the steps required to turn on my camera (I just automatically do it without thinking) or change the aperture or shutter speed, etc.  I just think "faster shutter" and the action is done before I have to consciously think about how to do it.  The seconds spent fumbling with a control can make the difference between capturing a shot, or missing it.  

Although sometimes it is hard to wrap your head around, you should assess your camera purchase much like buying a car (or a musical instrument).  It is not just about the specs, but about the "feel" and handling as well.  So, I'd recommend an extended test drive at a camera store if you have the opportunity.

I hope this makes sense.

Keith

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:45:28 AM by keithsnell »

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »
That is fantastic information & a great response thanks Keith. Your music instrument analogy is spot when you actually think about it!
Today I'm off to the camera shop to "try before I buy"..

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »
Hi Nigel,

What did you decide?

Keith

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
I'm sold on the Canon however now confused between the 450D & 500D as the gap is only a few hundred dollars. Is it worth getting HD video capability for that? Also I'm reading that the extra mega pixels don't really come into play unless you have the proper lense to go with it (that sounds like extra $$)..anyway all I want to be able to do is take magazine quality shots for pics to be placed onto a web site from a camera that it easy to use & light to hold and carry...

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 06:41:34 PM »
Nigel,

If you already have a dedicated video camera, then I would say it isn't worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to the 500D.  If you don't already have video capability, then it might be worth it to upgrade.  I haven't been too impressed with the video capability of the "crossover" cameras.  Maybe in a few years...

The 450D will be fine for taking "magazine quality shots," and you are very right that unless you spend big $$$ for lenses, you probably won't be able to see the difference between the 450D and 500D.  Speaking of lenses, the difference in price between the 450D and 500D would be better spent investing in a better lens than in the higher spec camera. 

What lenses were you looking at purchasing?

Keith

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 05:47:56 PM »
Ok it's down to this. We have decided on the Canon EOS 500D body however have a lens dilemma..
1. Canon Macro 60mm f2.8 Vs Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

( the purpose of use is to take magazine quality shots of products such as dog collars to be presented on a website for sale)

Any thoughts!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 07:10:06 PM »
The macro would be best for product shots, and can also be used for a portrait or general purpose lens.  The 50mm f1.4 lens is designed for "low light" photography, and although it could be pressed into service for product shots, it won't be as versatile for this purpose as the macro.

Given your application, I'd get the macro.

Keith

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:05:30 AM »
Thanks Keith. What about the Canon 18-55mm IS Vs the macro ie will the macro be suffice as the only general lens for the 500D?

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:52:22 AM »
Actually, if you are looking for a lens that would be dual purpose as a "general" lens, and one that would be good for product shots as well, then the 18-55 is probably a better choice.  I don't know how close you need to get in order to "fill the frame" with your product shots, so you might want to verify that the close focus distance on the 18-55 is sufficient.  I've read the close focus distance with this lens is 0.25m, which may or may not be sufficient based on the size of your products.  I'm guessing that it would probably work; however, the best way to verify this would be a "test drive" at the camera shop.

Hope this helps,

Keith

NigelDownUnder

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 03:21:55 PM »
Great thanks Keith  :)