Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "My Favorite Song" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1755 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Wow!  Another outstanding set of submissions that made it very difficult for me to pick a favorite.  

The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image that illustrates one of your favorite songs,  This exercise was intended to strengthen our skills at consciously "designing" or creating an image to illustrate a specific concept.  I recommended that you pick a line or phrase from one of your favorite songs, and then compose an image that illustrates what is being described in the song.

Alan's White Christmas image was a great beginning to the assignment with a beautiful winter scene.  It was a great composition of the trees, and the wrought iron fence helped add depth to the image.  The out of focus elements in the lower right corner are a bit distracting, but I have no way of knowing if Alan would have been able to reposition himself to eliminate them from the image.  (Given more time, I might have photoshopped them out.)  All in all a very nice image that evokes the words of the song White Christmas.

White Christmas
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot)

Rebecca's collage of Santa Clause is coming to Town has special meaning for me of course.  All of the individual images are great, but somehow grouping them all together like this was a bit too distracting for me.  There was just a little bit too much going on to allow me to appreciate the images for themselves.  They make a great story though.

Santa Claus is Coming to Town!!
Photographed by Rebecca

Rick's image of The Gambler was a very well constructed and executed image.  The exposure was spot on, the colors vibrant, the background unobtrusive and the depth of field suited the image.  Outstanding execution Rick!

Kenny Rogers "The Gambler"
Photographed by Rick Pepin (TrvlRick)

Jack's Let it Snow image was another great winter scene.  The falling snow Photoshop effect was a great addition that added a bit of atmosphere to this image.

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
Photographed by Jack Powers

Sue's image titled Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? was a great illustration for the song it represented.  I had to smile at the different times shown on each watch.  Sue did a great job with the background and lighting for this image.  It must have taken several tries (or lots of skill) to create this image without bright reflections on any of the watch faces.  The background was nice and neutral and unobtrusive and allowed the viewer to concentrate on the primary subject.   This image tied for People's Choice.  Well done Sue!

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
Tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Sue Pepin

Rick's image of America The Beautiful was a stunning image that made me homesick for Colorado.  The exposure, colors and framing were outstanding, especially considering that this was stitched from three separate frames.  The curves in the scene did a great job unifying the different elements within the frame.  This was a complex image with a lot of depth, and very well done.

"America the Beautiful"
Photographed by Rick Pepin

Jack did a wonderful job capturing this beautiful portrait of Rowdy in his image titled You Are So Beautiful.  Rowdy's eyes are captivating, (shooting this in dim light made for the great big wide-eyed pupils) and the fluffy white towel evokes the "snuggled up" feeling of the moment.  Excellent image Jack.

You Are So Beautiful
Photographed by Jack Powers

I didn't ever get the chance to capture the image I had visualized for this assignment; however I was able to capture an expression on Evan's face that fit the theme of the song.  I can almost hear Evan saying "wait for me Dad."

"If I Should Fall Behind"
Photographed by Keith

Marilyn's Moody Blues image beautifully captured the moment in time that transitions from sunset to when "night has begun" and was a great illustration for her favorite song.  The warm colors and ripples in the water were what make this image work for me, and evoked the feeling of a soft breeze off the ocean.  Well done Marilyn.

Evening - Moody Blues
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Dave's Winter Wonderland is an exquisite image that tied for People's Choice.  To me this image conveys a deep respect for the beauty of nature.  To see, and then expertly convey the beauty of this small scene speaks of a soul that is connected to the land.  The detail and texture are captivating, the colors and tonality perfect for the subject, and the layering of the image conveys the sense of a rich microcosm and invites the viewer to reach into the image, pick up a leaf and see what is underneath.  Capturing an image this exquisite would not have been possible without perfect technique, and the selection of f16 as an aperture was critical to obtaining the depth of field needed to make this image succeed.  Wow!  I've selected this image as Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit.  Thank you Dave for inspiring me to get out and really see the beauty around me.

Winter Wonderland
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Dave's Winter Wonderland #2 was another outstanding image, with great clarity and depth.  First the colors captivate, and then the small details intrigue the viewer.  (And I had to smile at the "Berry Merry Christmas" subtitle.)  Outstanding image Dave!

Winter Wonderland #2
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Thank you again to all of you that inspired me with your imagery.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:12:03 PM by keithsnell »

marilyn

Dave and Sue ~ Congratulations on your well-deserved awards for this assignment.  Dave, the frosty leaves image is indeed exquisitely composed and executed.  Sue, your time image is a fun, intriguing photo.  So many other great images contributed by everyone else as well.  I appreciate all I can learn from each of you.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Thank you, Keith, for the kind words.  Your encouragement and nurturing keeps us all going, steadily improving, and a bit more patient during the gray days when things just don't seem to be working. And I appreciate the kindness, inspiration, and supportive atmosphere of all the members.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thanks Dave,

Now I need to find time to go photograph. 

(I've been wrestling with installing a Windows Home Server, which required a network upgrade/reconfiguration and upgrading external backup enclosures, etc.  Things that should have taken five minutes are taking days to troubleshoot.  RMAed another external enclosure today because it would always fail one of the drives out of raid.  Same "bay" in the enclosure failed every time with five different (known good) disks, so back it goes.)  It will be nice once I get it all working...I hope.

Keith