Author Topic: "Panoramic," Weekly Photography Assignment for 25 - 31 January 2010  (Read 1487 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Based on a suggestion from Lars, this week’s assignment is “Panoramic.”  Although Lars actually suggested “stitching” as an assignment topic, I think the topic of “panoramic” is close enough, and might give more people an opportunity to participate.  In general, a panoramic image is defined as an image that is framed with a relatively wide aspect ratio (i.e., the image is much wider than it is tall).  In order to meet the general definition of panoramic, an image us usually at least twice as wide as it is tall (for example an image would be 4x8 instead of your more “normal” 4x6 aspect ratio.  You can produce a panoramic image by either cropping a full-frame image, or by stitching multiple images together in order to produce a composite image with a wide aspect ratio.

The exercise of composing a good panoramic image will “stretch” your composition skills, since not all scenes lend themselves to being effectively presented in a wide format.  In order to find scenes that lend themselves to a panoramic presentation, you will have to actively “frame” the scene in your mind, and visualize what it might look like in a wide format.  Have fun!  

Please upload your images to the “Panoramic” album in the Weekly Assignments category of the Gallery no-later-than midnight, Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 31 January 2010.

I’ll look forward to seeing your images.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:52:00 PM by keithsnell »