Author Topic: The NEW Nikon D7000 - Good news / Bad news  (Read 27879 times)

Chris

Re: The NEW Nikon D7000 - Good news / Bad news
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »
That does make sense. I was confused on which way to move the slider.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »
Ok, this is different. After posting the nef I went to look at it again in capture. When I opened it I saw the fixed version and thought "Oh no! I have saved over the original!". I then noticed a box labeled Version and found that I could switch back to the original. Is that why the file size is 40MB instead of 20something like the others? How many versions can you save in a single nef? That's awesome but will take some getting used to.

Yup, that's one of the cool things about nefs and Capture.  I've never run up against any limit on the number of "versions" I could save in a single nef.  (I'm sure there is one, I've just never hit it.)

I noticed the file size too, and thought "that's huge!"  I'm not sure why 40MB instead of the 20 that I would normally expect.  The additional "versions" shouldn't add that much overhead.  I'll have to do some experimenting.

Keith

A couple of thoughts on the file size.  The original (camera) file is usually saved with a medium quality jpeg embedded in the file.  (That's the JPEG you are viewing when you zoom in on the LCD, etc.)  When you work on the raw file in Capture and resave the file, it will embed a higher quality jpeg in the file, thus the increase in file size.  (This increase in size is even more significant for the D7000, because of the higher resolution sensor.)  There was also an increase in file size because of the "adjust"  steps you added.  Basically when you added the sharpening step, the resulting rendered (embedded) JPEG couldn't be compressed as much as an unsharpened JPEG, which added about 6 MB to the file size.

Make sense?

Keith

Lars

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 04:47:00 AM »
That's the JPEG you are viewing when you zoom in on the LCD

Keith ..When I use Jpeg only in my old Kodak src i cant zoom in on the LCD

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2010, 07:42:19 AM »
That's the JPEG you are viewing when you zoom in on the LCD

Keith ..When I use Jpeg only in my old Kodak src i cant zoom in on the LCD

Hi Lars,  Interesting...  I never tried that option on my Kodak SLR/n. 

It's definitely the JPEG that is embedded in the raw file that gives you the ability to zoom in on the LCD.

Keith

Lars

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »
Keith
Can i extract the embedded JPEG from the RAW file ?

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 09:28:30 AM »
Keith
Can i extract the embedded JPEG from the RAW file ?

Yes.  There are several programs that let you do that.  Photo Mechanic will allow you to do that, but it is a fairly expensive program.  I know there are other "shareware" programs that also enable the end user to extract embedded jpegs.  I'll have to do some research to find a good shareware program that I can recommend for that function.  (I use Photo Mechanic.)

Keith

Chris

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »

Chris

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
I learned a couple new things today. My 8GB card will hold 353 nefs. The high speed shutter is neat but it only makes more pics to go through. I ended up with over 450 pics from one basketball game. I noticed I'd click off several shots even when I wasn't meaning to. I'm guessing less than 5% are worth anything. I do have several that are good enough to turn in for my sports photography assignment. The 50mm was almost perfect. It was kind of short for the far end of the court. The 70-300 did ok zooming in to the far end but it was too long when they were close. The 18-105 was great for focal length. Too bad it can't open up more.

I had a lot of fun going, click, click, click, but I think I'll go to another game for more serious practice.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
I learned a couple new things today. My 8GB card will hold 353 nefs. The high speed shutter is neat but it only makes more pics to go through. I ended up with over 450 pics from one basketball game. I noticed I'd click off several shots even when I wasn't meaning to. I'm guessing less than 5% are worth anything. I do have several that are good enough to turn in for my sports photography assignment. The 50mm was almost perfect. It was kind of short for the far end of the court. The 70-300 did ok zooming in to the far end but it was too long when they were close. The 18-105 was great for focal length. Too bad it can't open up more.

I had a lot of fun going, click, click, click, but I think I'll go to another game for more serious practice.

You should be able to customize the fps for the high speed shutter.  I typically set mine at 5fps, because as you said, it's hard to "moderate" the shutter when it's set at 8fps, and I would typically fire off more than I wanted to at that setting.

Glad you had fun.  Good to learn that "anticipation" and timing are better than firing off a zillion shots and hoping to get something. :)

girod

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2010, 11:53:52 PM »
Chris,

Keith is right - no point in shooting more than 5fps because of the mirror black-out time, you only end up with more out-of-focus images. Thom Hogan says "be a D3x" (http://www.bythom.com/autofocus2.htm).

How about, de-coupling AF activation from the half-pressed shutter button and instead assigning the AF activation to AE-L/AF-L button exclusively. With my D700 I assigned it to the AF-ON button. So my right thumb is pressing the AF-ON button continuously while my right index finger is continuosly half-pressing the shutter ready to take the shot. This trained my index finger to be less trigger happy - also, less downward movement on the camera.

jaime

burzilai

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »
Hi all, CIndy Im with you on the D7000 NEF file  for CS5. I forgot about that, I had the same problem with CS4 and D5000 but I found the "patch" for it so I was able to shoot in raw again. But with D7000, im still looking and there's no answer yet. The battery problem is not good, I always want to have extra batteries. BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a good external Mic for D7000?
Shee :)

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 06:49:31 PM »
Hi Shee,

You should be able to download and install this release candidate for Adobe Camera Raw and be able to open the D7000 files:  http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-3/

From what I hear it doesn't do quite as good a job with the D7000 files as the Nikon rendering from View NX2 or Capture NX2 though.

Congratulations on the new D7000 by the way!

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »
BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a good external Mic for D7000?

I've read very good reviews on this mic: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363083-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_VideoMic_Camera_Mounted.html.  Many seem to think this is the best "price performance ratio" of the external mic options.

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
And here's a review of three options for external mic on the D7000:  http://www.d7000-microphones.com/

burzilai

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 07:10:01 PM »
Hi Keith!!! it's been awhile, Ive been very busy as I was telling Rebecca. I actually googled after I posted that and yes I d/l'd camera raw 6.3 and yes it works perfect with CS5. I will look for that ext mic.
I like the D7000, ive contemplated about having a full frame, D300x or s but...hrmmm..very pricey whew!!
 I miss submitting HW here, my schedule changed and just didn't have enough time to shoot pics for leisure, Ive been busy with weddings (on weekends) and lately with senior photos, family & baby photos ( for xmas ), but just really hectic in the hospital. But I miss you all, I browsed the gallery there's so many great pics i love them all!. Hopefully I can be active again soon, I hope I hope!! :)  
Shee :)