Author Topic: Results & Feedback for the "Line, Shape and Form" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1661 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Line, Shape and Form" assignment.  The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image where "line, shape and form" were the primary compositional elements within the image.  Both Rebecca and I had fun with this assignment, and it helped me exercise my composition skills as I looked for scenes where I could emphasize line, shape and form, and then worked at arranging these elements into a pleasing composition.

I enjoyed Dave Leiker's (prairiedust) Stones image, and his description of the Photoshop techniques he used to "deepen" the mood of the image and emphasize the form of the rocks.  I thought his techniques were very effective, and made the waterfall look much more powerful.

stones
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Congratulations to Rick Pepin, whose Air Force Academy Chapel image won the vote for People's Choice and was selected as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  The light in this scene was wonderful, and Rick capitalized on this light to emphasize the line and form of the chapel.  I did wonder if Rick's choice to include a small part of the tree on the right side was a conscious decision to include some "context" in the scene.  Such a small part of the tree is included that it almost looks like it was included inadvertently.  It is often better to include the entire element if you are unable to frame the scene to remove small intrusions. Having photographed this scene in the past, I know how difficult it is to get a clear view of the chapel without trees blocking the view, so I commend Rick on finding an angle that gave him a clear shot.  It is often very difficult to judge if the camera is level when looking through the viewfinder while using a wide angle lens, so that is one of the situations when using a bubble level can be very helpful.  

Air Force Academy Chapel
Tied for People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit  
Photographed by Rick Pepin

Congratulations also to Rebecca whose image of the Keeper of the Plains catching the sun tied for People's Choice and was awarded Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.  By silhouetting the sculpture, she emphasized the graphic shapes and flowing lines of the sculpture, and including the "sun star" in the image was a great technique to capture the viewer's attention and add interest to the scene.

Keeper of the Plains catching the sun
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Rebecca

Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Line, Shape and Form" assignment.  I hope that our discussions on "line, shape and form," and the exercise of looking for these characteristics in your scene and composing an image around them will help you to use these elements to strengthen future compositions.

Keith
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:01:28 PM by keithsnell »

TrvlRick

This was a fun assignment and I really am trying to learn something from each of the assignments we have had. When I took this photo I was remembering the framing assignment a few weeks ago so it was a conscious decision to include a small part of the tree on the right side because I thought the composition was to plain without the part of the tree framing that side of the photo.  I took a few photos without the tree and I didn’t believe it looked as good so that is why I chose this photo with the tree. If I had use the whole tree in the photo it was my opinion that it detracted from the chapel. I think I am learning allot from these assignments and will keep trying to learn and improve. Thank you for all your hard work with this web site.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Hi Rick,

I agree that the image looked better with the tree in.  I cropped the image you submitted to remove the tree, and it looked too "plain," so yes, I agree with your decision to include the tree.  It does make a nice "frame" on the right side of the image, and provides some context for the chapel.  However, such a small part of the tree was included that for some people it might look more like an "intrusion" instead of a purposeful compositional element.  It's hard to gauge how much is too little.  In this case, the fact that the tree is "floating" (without a base) is part of what makes it look like an intrusion.  I probably would have included at least enough of the tree that you could "ground" a portion of the base.  Just a step or two back and to the right would have probably been enough.  Nothing significant, just a minor "tweak" to a great image.

Keith