Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Slow Sync" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1763 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to those of you that participated in the assignment.  I know lots of people were busy with the holidays, and I appreciate that you took the time to inspire us with such outstanding images.  As I mentioned in the assignment description, it's a real challenge to balance all of the shooting parameters to create a successful image using slow sync.  I'm sure many of you experimented with a lot of different shots in order to come up with the amazing images you posted.  Hopefully, like me you now have a little better idea of what works and what doesn't, and you will be able to add this technique to your repertoire when the situation warrants.

The guidelines for this assignment were to use a slow shutter speed to balance a flash-lit foreground with an ambient background exposure, or submit more challenging images that use slow sync in conjunction with rear curtain sync and subject movement to convey a sense of motion in your image.

Congratulations to Michele whose Break! image was selected as People's Choice.  Composition, lighting and exposure were outstanding for this image.  The crop was very effective, and the way the light highlighted the shooters cue and hand added a very human element to the image without stealing attention from the action of the balls.  It was fascinating to be able to see the trajectories of all the balls following the break.  I think at least one ball went into the side pocket?  Great shot Michele!  

Break!
People's Choice
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Michele's Eight ball - Corner pocket was another outstanding image and was selected as Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.  The clarity of the 14 ball combined with the motion conveyed for the cue ball made this an outstanding image.  Creating this image so that the motion trail was behind the cue ball was a very effective way to convey motion, and much more effective than if the "trail" was in front of the image as it would have been with normal flash sync.  Outstanding image Michele!

Eight ball - Corner pocket
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Rebecca's Christmas Joy image was a fun image that illustrated something worth noting about slow sync images.  I'm sure some of you that experimented with slow sync noticed that if the subject wasn't well lit with ambient light, then it was often difficult to see the "trail" of motion.  Photographing moving lights overcomes this shortcoming since the lights will be well exposed in relation to the rest of the exposure.  So slow-sync flash works very well with moving lights.  Rebecca did a great job with the exposure on this image, nicely balancing the light from the flash with the "light trails" from the illuminated suit.

Christmas Joy
Photographed by Rebecca

Rick's Slicing the Apple was another outstanding image.  Rick did a great job with the setup for this image and I'm impressed that he thought to slice the knife behind the apple to ensure the apple didn't move during the exposure.  I do wonder why the blur of motion appears to be composed of several exposures, almost as if Rick hesitated at certain points in the exposure?  Great job Rick!  I'm most impressed with how the setup and dark tone of the background reinforced the sinister feel of the image.

Slicing the Apple
Photographed by Rick Pepin

As several people commented, Sue's image of Bodie with her new Christmas Present was another amazing capture.  It was fascinating to see the trajectory of the toy, intercepted by Bodie's arcing leap.  This is an almost perfect trail of motion that makes Bodie look like a superdog.  Awesome image Sue!

Bodie with her new Christmas Present
Photographed by Sue Pepin

Thank you again to everyone that participated in this assignment and inspired me to keep practicing with this technique.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:11:58 PM by keithsnell »

TrvlRick

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Slow Sync" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
To answer the question that Keith had where the blur of motion appears to be composed of several exposures, almost as if I hesitated at certain points in the exposure? I had taken a number of tries to get a nice blur but then the knife was almost invisible when I just moved slowly through the photo. The photo I chose in the end was the one that I just stopped for a split second as the knife went down to the apple. This assignment was allot of fun. Thank you Keith for all the work you do on this site and to all the partisipants who help me learn new things about photography. :D

Michele

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Slow Sync" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
So cool.  Thank you for the really very nice surprise.  I got to see it in Canada but only had the time now to respond.  I love all the shots in this assignment.  I think it's a very interesting way to take photos and I am going to try and do more of it.

Also, I am going to try rear sync for portraits as Dave had suggested.