Author Topic: "Street Photography," Weekly Photography Assignment for 1 - 7 June 2009  (Read 1363 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The assignment for the week of 1 – 7 June 2009 is “Street Photography.”   While street photography is a whole genre in and of itself (and not necessarily my “favorite” type of photography), practicing the techniques and “vision” necessary for good street photography will carry over into other areas of our photography.  Good street photography is often described as a “mirror to society,” and is used by “serious” photographers to give viewers insight into walks of life they may not have the opportunity to experience in person.  The most powerful street photography captures behavior and conveys “character” and emotion.  A person on the street with “attitude” definitely makes for a more interesting image.

This type of assignment is also very effective in reminding me why I enjoy photography so much.  When I am carrying a camera with the intention of finding something interesting to photograph, I am acutely aware of everything around me, and “see” things that I otherwise wouldn’t notice.  Venturing out with the intention of “street photography” can help us to see aspects of society that tend to pass by unnoticed.

The guidelines for this assignment are to compose an image that conveys an interesting aspect of society “on the streets.”  Since the human element is typically what adds interest, street photography usually includes candid views of people going about their daily lives.  Please upload your images to the “Street Photography” album in the Weekly Assignment category of the Gallery no-later-than midnight Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 7 June 2009.

Keith
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:49:25 PM by keithsnell »