Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Abstract" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1905 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Abstract" assignment.  For this assignment we defined abstract photography as a "nonrepresentational" imagery which concentrates on creating a pleasing composition of form and color, without representing a particular object.  The goal of this assignment was to encourage participants to exercise and strengthen their ability to visualize and compose a pleasing image using form and color.  It removed the emphasis from displaying a pleasing rendition of an object, and instead, placed the emphasis totally on form and color. 

I really enjoyed seeing the imaginative images submitted for this assignment, and I think the participants had a lot of fun with the assignment.  It is important to note that most of the images submitted for this assignment would be better categorized as "post-impressionist" images instead of "abstract" images.  As I noted in the assignment description, abstract photography can best be described as "nonrepresentational" imagery which concentrates on creating a pleasing composition of form and color, without representing a particular object.  (Hint:  If you would use the name of an object to describe the image, such as "bowl of fruit," it probably isn't an "abstract" image.)

In order to understand the style of post-impressionism, it is important to first understand "Impressionism."  Impressionism was a 19th century art movement that started in Paris, and the name of the movement is derived from the title of a Claude Monet work, Impression, Sunrise.  Impressionists emphasized color over "line" in an attempt to re-create the sensation felt by the viewer of the original subject (to recreate the "impression" of an object), rather than recreating the subject.  They emphasized vivid overall effects rather than details.  "Post-Impressionists" were a loosely defined group of artists that extended impressionism by emphasizing geometric forms, distorting form for expressive effect, and using unnatural or arbitrary color.  Based on these definitions, most of the images submitted for the assignment could best be described as "post-impressionism."  Nevertheless, I really enjoyed seeing the wonderfully imaginative images.  Since we don't really have a "post-impressionism" category in photography, it is common to see this type of imagery categorized under "abstract."

I loved the distortions and colors Lars introduced in his image to convey the "spooky" feeling of his Spooky Abstraction image.

Spooky Abstraction

And the alien monster feeling Becky created in her Thistle Creature image.

Thistle Creature

Both of these images were great illustrations of how we can use color and form to create or emphasize a particular "feeling" or mood in an image.  I've chosen Lars' Spooky Abstraction image as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit because of the "feeling" or mood he was able to convey with his modifications to the image.

Rick's Abstract M&Ms image and Rebecca's Liquify image were both fun images and tied in the voting for the People's Choice award.

Abstract M&M's

Liquify

My Extra Paint and Naomi's Macro Abstract images were probably the only true "abstract" images in the submissions.

Extra Paint

Macro Abstract

I've awarded Naomi's Macro Abstract image Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Abstract" assignment.  There were some wonderfully imaginative images submitted for this week's assignment and I think everyone had fun participating.   

Keith
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:46:00 PM by keithsnell »

Becky Jenner

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Abstract" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »
This assignment was very fun Keith! I'm glad to see so many submissions to this as well as the Pattern's assignment!"The more the merrier!"
Becky

Lars

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:42:38 AM »
Keith

I think i got my inspiration mainly from Salvador Dali surrealist works.
So in my case its "surrealist" more than Abstract.
 Anyway very fun assignment.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:02:34 AM »
Lars,

Good point about your work being more "surrealist" than "abstract."  I would say that is definitely true of this image:

Beats Me
Photographed by Lars

I had thought about "Surprise" as a future weekly assignment.  Now I think that Surrealism (Surrealist works feature the element of surprise, unexpected juxtapositions and non sequitur) might be a fun assignment too. 

I'm glad everyone had fun with this assignment.  Hopefully we will have many more fun assignments in the future.  If anybody has suggestions for future assignment topics please let me know!

Keith